The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. As far as pregame, so far I've only had JV and freshman games from this assignor. I try to be at the gym even for lower level games at least 20 minutes before tipoff, ready to go. In most of my games so far this year, pregame has consisted of meeting each other and shaking hands as that was about all we had time for. I hate to say anything about staying in your own area and such because I don't want to be the annoying new guy that thinks he knows everything.
The comments about them not knowing or trusting me got me thinking. What do you look for when working with someone for the first time? I know last night when my partner walked in just before tip off, grabbed the ball and left his watch on, I thought I might be in for a long night. Next I look for mechanics on the first couple of calls. I guess the most important to me is that they make eye contact with me as soon as there is any whistle. What do you all look for?

Here is a line you might want to use, "I know I'm new and you are more experienced, but if you want to help me get better and earn your trust and the trust of the coaches, you need to let me call my own primaries."

If they don't respond positively to that, tell them to stay the hell out of your area.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rut, thanks for the thoughts. My question was about specific things you look for with new partners once the game has begun. My big one is making eye contact at every whistle. When I see my partner making eye contact with me at all the early whistles, I know that it's going to be somewhat easy to get on the same page because there will be pretty good communication between us.
I can tell a lot about an official in the first few minutes of a game.

1. If his pants are faded and too short (like he's expecting a flood) I'm half expecting a rough game.

2. If he/she is not hustling I'm pretty sure it's going to be a rough game.

3. Poor mechanics, not wanting to switch on fouls etc. I know I'm going to have a rough game.

When this happens I call my primary and if I happen to see an obvious foul in my partners primary I'll call that as well. Unfortunately you will be judged by the company you keep.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 02:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Now I understand.

Quote:
Rut, thanks for the thoughts. My question was about specific things you look for with new partners once the game has begun. My big one is making eye contact at every whistle. When I see my partner making eye contact with me at all the early whistles, I know that it's going to be somewhat easy to get on the same page because there will be pretty good communication between us.
I look to see what my partner shows up in.

I look for how my partner's uniform looks?

Are they in the proper uniform?

Are their shoes shined?

Now everything I just stated does not mean automatically what kind of official you are. You could be in the improper uniform and still be a very good official. I just think it does not look good and usually tells me (and everyone else) that you are do not pay attention to detail and might cut corners in you calls or your officiating philosophy. Or you are not as knowledgeable about the rules and mechanics. And no, the same does not always apply to a grizzled veteran that has worked a lot of high level ball.

I know when I come to games. I want to give all the great impressions I can when I walk into that gym. I want to set the right tone as much as possible.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Walk the walk......

I cannot stress the importance (especially for the newer officials) of having a proper appearance.

You will be judged (fairly or not) by how you "look" as an official the moment you enter the locker room (by your partner) and the moment you hit the floor (by the coaches, players, and fans).

Make the effort to keep your gear updated and in good condition (shine your shoes, no wrinkles in clothes, good personal grooming and hygiene). Some may scoff at the idea of trying to impress but, why not put forth the effort?

Yes, you will ultimately be judged by your performance on the floor but that is only one aspect of being a good official.

IMO, confidence in one's appearance is as important in confidence in one's performance.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 10:28pm
M.A.S.H.

I know your feeling because it makes you feel people are saying to themselves "is he watching the game?" As far as your area, don't worry about the fans thinking you're not doing your job because of your area, they probably don't even know we have a certain spot on the court to watch. But then again, if an assignor is watching you that's a different story. Basically just like everyone else said, talk to him/her at half and see what they saw that you didn't. Happy Thanksgiving!

T Jones
Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Frustrated Already

First time poster-a newbie official.. Speaking from the perspective of long time HS basketball fan, most people only have a vague idea of the ref under the basket should call those fouls and the guy outside should call those. mostfans have never even heard of primary coverage areas, etc....
Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with most of the sentiment expressed so far, but there are always ways to make a game run more smoothly even with a bad partner.

-Before the game, presuming you have the assignment in advance, make a phone call to touch base with the other official, confirm time and place and when you'll arrive. At that point you might be able to have some sort of pregame, or at the least, the other official knows you're serious. Also, set the tone by not cutting corners with the pregame procedure.

-During the game, if my partner calls in my area several times (which annoys me a lot), I will generally meet him during a TO and mention something for him to watch for off ball. For instance, team A's using a lot of off ball screens and basket cuts, keep an eye on #12, make sure his screens are legal, make sure D's not bumping cutters. That way, you give your partner something to watch for, when a lot of times at this level, they don't know what to watch for. Generally, this works, when it doesn't it makes for a long day. I've never had a guy keep blowing my sideline, but if it happened, I'd remind him of the proper coverage areas at my next chance.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Angry

Junker,

I feel your pain. I have just moved and I am the new guy here. For the most part I just keep my mouth shut and officiate my game. If they come in my area and we have a double whistle I take it to the table... if it wasn't a foul I let them live or die with it. Remember when the evaluator is looking at the tape or at the game they know who had a whistle and who didn't.

Keep doing those things that help you rise to the top. Same advice as everyone here has been giving...

As far as how to not step on toes in the pregame ask questions or give game situations you want their opinion on works great! And of course adapt to how they do it as long as you aren't picking up bad habits.

My two sense!
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 05:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Hey all, I didn't want to post this because I'm going to be saying some negative things about some partners I've had recently but I'd like your thoughts.
I recently moved and changed assignors. I'm in my 5th year and got my first varsity games last year. I've been to camps the last 2 years, more than one this summer and have heard good things from all my evaluators. I think and have been told that I'm a pretty solid official. Anyway, between the preseason games I've done and the first game of the season, I've had some pretty suspect partners. In all but one of the preseason games (tournaments and leagues) my partners have called my line multiple times. Last night my parnter made about 6 calls in my area of which 2 were right as well as double whistles since I was coming with it also. The worst was a double whistle we had where I was T, he was L. Ball was near side to me and we both come up with a travel at the same time (not that he's watching the ball or anthing). The frustrating part is this is my first time in a lot of these schools and they already know the other officials. I'm sure some will percieve the wrong calls out of my parnter's area as me not doing the job in my area. Any advice on how to handle these situations. Sorry this is so long, but I'm also venting a little. Thanks.
Junker,
You didn't happen to move to my neck of the woods, did you? (Des Moines)

Adam
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

I had a partner like about last year. When I mentioned during a timeout that we should stay in our coverage areas to make sure the off-ball action was being watched, too, he gave me a puzzled look. "Coverage areas? What's that?" Fortunately, haven't worked with him since.

Sara
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Adam, I am going through Des Moines so far. How has your luck been with random partners? Email me separately and maybe we can get together for a game somewhere. My schedule isn't all the way full yet.
On a good note, I had a very good partner last night and a pretty decent game. Afterwards my partner and I talked about doing some 3 man with his regular Varsity partner and maybe getting some contracts together next year. It was a much needed breath of fresh air.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

When you have a good pregame you can set boundries,let your partner's know what you expect and what they expect from you.From reading your thread is too many ball watcher's and not enough off ball calls.