The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

You're the Referee!

Agree with Rich Fronheiser....You start looking and helping the team behind commits you to losing your objectivity.

Does your state have a "running clock" / "mercy rule" at the middle school/elementary school level?

If Coach A wants to be a jerk....let him be the jerk. I would presume word will get out about this person and he'll eventually have to deal with it. I would probably call the league commissioner and/or the Coach's Athletic Director and mention the incident after the game. Sad part about this is that the "young kids" are the ones who ultimately suffer. Sorry that the "win at all cost" mentality continues at this "learning time". Whatever happened to being role models?

Peace....

wl
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

As a newbie, this situation raises an issue I'd like to hear from you senior guys how to handle.

Let's take the original post's situation--team is up by 30 and still pressing.

That alone isnt a problem. Might be uncool, but being uncool isnt against the rules.

BUT it certainly makes the players testy and perhaps the crowd testy. So lets add that to the situation--up by 30, winning team is still pressing, and you can tell that the crowd is getting rowdy and the losing players are getting testy.

So now my question is this: how much would you tighten up your calling of the game if you saw the losing players starting to get pissed? Would you then say something to the coaches? Is this perhaps a "preventative officiating" situation, and if so how do you handle it?

Just a newbie looking for a little guidance

Clark
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 05:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by totalnewbie

So now my question is this: how much would you tighten up your calling of the game if you saw the losing players starting to get pissed? Would you then say something to the coaches? Is this perhaps a "preventative officiating" situation, and if so how do you handle it?

Jmo Clark, it's fine to tighten up if they start to get a l'il more physical than you like or start to yap at each other- but just make sure that you tighten up both ways. Iow, make the calls the same at both ends. That's our job- not playing judge and jury on what is really a coach's perogative in the first place. Personally, I never tell the coaches how to do their job. That just seems kinda unreasonable to me if I'm not gonna let them tell me how to do my job also.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 06:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

When we had a discussion earlier that about a disrespectful player, I suggested that that player better be perfect in the things he does. I would do the same here.

Of course I would not make anything up or call a "tighter game." But if they press and do a lot of swiping at the ball they better get the ball. But if they are just moving their feet and playing great defense, I would not do anything different.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
My take - standard HS game, do nothing. Kids rec league, ask the coach if he still needs to have the press on. You'd be surprised at how many coaches don't realize what they're doing (ever ).
Definately true, sometimes the coach gets lost in the moment.

If they team A is winning by 25+ and he has subs in and they are still running it up, then I feel sorry for team B at the next practice.

Keep that clock moving. Here in MO, we have the mercy rule that helps roll the time off.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all of your responses. The game in question was 6th grade level. The coach still had all of his starters in and I just got PO'd. I did not call the T but wanted to know what everyone else thought.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I find it hard to believe that the league or school association did not have a "mercy" provision in force such as a running clock or no pressing. Are you aware of your state association's guidlines? Perhaps you had an oversight?

In any event, you should never try to be so subjective and influence the game with your morality about sportsmanship as it relates to a blow out. Do your job and officiate the game within the rules set forth by the sanctioning body you operate under. Let the coaches "coach" even if it disagrees with your position in this matter.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

several years ago I was coaching my Daughters C level team and somehow, we played an A level team and they were killin us and still continued to press. I called a time out and asked the girls what they thought. Most of them were just playing basketball for the social aspect and didn't care so much about winning. When we went back in, we started inbounding the ball with a perfect pass to the opponent. It took about 3 times for the coach to pull back the hounds. He apologized multiple times after the game.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
I find it hard to believe that the league or school association did not have a "mercy" provision in force such as a running clock or no pressing. Are you aware of your state association's guidlines? Perhaps you had an oversight?

In any event, you should never try to be so subjective and influence the game with your morality about sportsmanship as it relates to a blow out. Do your job and officiate the game within the rules set forth by the sanctioning body you operate under. Let the coaches "coach" even if it disagrees with your position in this matter.
Robmoz: I did not have an oversight. There are no pressing rules for 5th grade and down. There is no mercy rule in Massachusetts.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

When I was a freshman in HS we lost a game 99-69 to a school which presses the whole game. That is their style of play from the varsity squad all the way down.
While our coach was rather upset with us and we ran the entire next practice, I would have been more embarrassed if they had pulled the press.
Of course, high school boys have a different attitude.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Talking What....???

....and what "attitude" would that be?

wl
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

If I don't let them tell me how to ref, I can't tell them how to coach. You may not like it, but that is up to the league.

Mregor
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
opinions vary!
They certainly do. Some are right, some are wrong.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a game once with a partner who was a veteran coach and he was the losing coach in a situation like this. He explained that he instructed his players to hand the ball to the winning team on their throw-in after a basket. The winning team could then score and they would repeat the action. His thinking was that since clearly the other team for some reason needed more points he was going to give them as many as they wanted. Once the winning team was ready to actually "play" then his team would also play.

The result was that the coach got the idea and took the press off.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 11:28pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Cool My experince

Several years back, our CYO JV team was all 4th graders and somehow got placed in an all-6th grade division.

We played one team that beat us 36-1. Thing is, the coach didn't take his starters at when he went up by 30, as required by the league rules and the officials chose not to enforce the rule when reminded of it...

So, when I sent the game report to the league office, I asked them to review the game and the circumstances, since in their handout, they mention that they will scrutinize games with 30+ decisions to make sure good sportsmanship was present. While I'm not sure if the league did anything, the next time we played this school, they brought their winless team to play our winless squad. (That game was much closer, a 16-20 loss ).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball