The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
Prior to the game, a technical foul is charged to team A. While the ball is at the disposal of B-1 for the first attempt, a double personal foul is called. Following the free throws for the technical fouls,official resumes play with a jump ball. Is the official correct?

A group of us are working on 20 questions to be presented to the rest of the class. One of the guys refuses to alter his answer saying the answer must be yes because the arrow does not get set until the the inbounder is handed the ball. The rest of us think the arrow should be changed when the free thrower is handed the ball.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

The arrow is set toward the team that shall receive the throw in when the ball is bounced or placed at the disposal of the thrower casebook 6.4.1 sit F.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

I think the answer is yes--Jump ball Possession arrow would not be set until ball given to team B for throw in after technical--since this would not happen in this case no possession arrow thus jump ball
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

The play shall resume with the alternating possesion procedure as the ball was already at the disposal of the free thrower. This means that the arrow should have already been facing toward B when he received the ball.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

The arrow is not set for a pregame T until the ball is at the disposal for the throwin to start the game...after the FTs. When the double personal foul occurred, the arrow still had not been set. The result of the personal foul would be an AP throwin...but the arrow had not been set. So, a jump ball is what comes next. Question, who jumps? Do the foulers have to jump or is it anyone from either team?
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
The arrow is set toward the team that shall receive the throw in when the ball is bounced or placed at the disposal of the thrower casebook 6.4.1 sit F.
"Thrower" in that case refers to "inbounder" not "Free thrower."

Since the T wasn't a common foul (duh!), the arrow isn't set on the FT -- it's set when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder.

Since the arrow wasn't set when the double foul occurred, the arrow can't be used for posession.

Jump ball between those involved in the double foul. The jump ball will be in the center circle, no matter where the foul occurred.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Jump ball between the players unless it was a flagrant double foul. The arrow has not been established during the technical free throws.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
"Thrower" in that case refers to "inbounder" not "Free thrower."

Since the T wasn't a common foul (duh!), the arrow isn't set on the FT -- it's set when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder.

Since the arrow wasn't set when the double foul occurred, the arrow can't be used for posession.

Jump ball between those involved in the double foul. The jump ball will be in the center circle, no matter where the foul occurred.
Bob, you're right on. An NFHS official should do exactly what you say. Redhouse failed to given proper attention to the sentence immediately prior to the one quoted. That one reads, "Team A will then be given the ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the table." So, as you said, Bob, thrower in the next sentence clearly refers to the inbounder not the free thrower.

So that everyone who reads this is clear 4-3 deals with the setting of the initial arrow. This rule tells us that whether the foul is a common foul or a noncommon (technical, intentional) foul makes a difference in when the arrow is initially set.
"the possession arrow is set toward the opponent's basket when:"
"ART. 2...The ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower after a common foul when the bonus free throw is in effect.
ART. 3...The ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower after:
a. A violation during or following the jump before a player secures control.
b. The free throws for a noncommon foul.
c. A common foul when the bonus free throw is not in effect."

OldCoachNewRef,
Article 3b is the proper one to apply for this play. Notice the word "after" just before the colon in article 3. The arrow is not set until AFTER the free throws. Tell that ONE guy who is in your group thanks, since he is right.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Nov 16th, 2004 at 06:48 AM]
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

thanks for clearing that up. I must have been looking at the wrong rule. It sounded good when I read it.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Thank you

Thanks Guys, we would have gotten that one wrong tomorrow night!! BTW we will listen to the guy with the correct answer from now on
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

OK, I guess that technically the ball is live when it is at the disposal of the thrower B1 on the technical foul, BUT - can we really have a double foul on a technical situation? I mean all the players are off the line and I am really struggling with defining a situation where a double foul would be appropriate here. Sounds like something more severe to me. Adjudication is the same I believe - jump ball after B1's free throws. What do you guys think?
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 10:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Wearin' Stripes
OK, I guess that technically the ball is live when it is at the disposal of the thrower B1 on the technical foul, BUT - can we really have a double foul on a technical situation? I mean all the players are off the line and I am really struggling with defining a situation where a double foul would be appropriate here. Sounds like something more severe to me. Adjudication is the same I believe - jump ball after B1's free throws. What do you guys think?
If the fouls are for physical contact during the live ball period, then the ONLY fouls that you could call during that time would be a personal foul of some type. In this case-a double personal foul. These personal fouls could be either intentional or flagrant also, but they HAVE to be personal. If the fouls are non-contact during a live ball-i.e. trash talking-, then you could have a double technical foul. These technical fouls could be labelled intentional or flagrant too, depending on the circumstances.

The original question said that it was a double personal foul, so it had to be contact fouls by opponents at approximately the same time during a live ball. Usually what you get in these cases is a coupla shoves, and you're not sure who started it.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

just interested

Old Coach,

I am interested as to whether this actually happened to you or is this just a test or study question. Has anyone ever had something like this hapen to them before the game even started with noone occupying any of the lane spaces. It seems that during most T's the teams are near their benches talking with the coach.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

My point wasn't that it should be a technical vs a personal foul situation and I agree with you that since the ball was live we are going to be limited to personal, intentional, or flagrant.

I don't believe that a double personal is a realistic option in this situation. All the players, save the free thrower B1 are away from the ball and not involved in any basketball activity. I think it would have to be intentional/flagrant in this situation. Result is the same, with possible exception of pending ejections for a double flagrant.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

This was one of 80 questions that 4 different groups had to answer. I was the the leader of the group for questions #61 to #80. No, this never actually happened, and in all of my years coaching, I have never seen it. I agree, most likely if there was contact during the shooting of a T, it would be flagrant or intentional. But if there was just a little push between the two, double foul or false double foul, depending on the official's judgement.