The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Angry

Hi Everyone!

I took last year off officiating (except for some private school tournaments) due to work schedule. I picked up all my new rule books for this season and I'm SHOCKED at how much I've forgotten!! Yikes.

Okay, 4-3-2 says:

Alternating possession control is established and the initial direction of the possession arrow is set toward the opponents basket when...

...The ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower after a common foul when the bonus rule is in effect.

Is it just the wording here or is it me? (Wait...don't answer that.)

If the bonus rule is in effect, WHY would this be talking about the "initial direction of the possession arrow" ?? Doesn't initial mean that it hasn't been set to ANY team yet??

Secondly, this description seems to be talking about a time when free throw administration would precede the changing of the possession arrow. I need someone to explain this to me. This seems to suggest that after a foul where there are free throws to be shot, the arrow is reversed after the ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower. The only time I ever knew that the arrow came into play in a foul situation was when simultaneous personal or technical fouls occurred.

Somebody help me shake the rust off here!

Paul

Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 12:54am
We don't rent pigs

Check out casebook 4.3.2. The only time the scenario you describe comes into play is when there is a foul during the jump ball at the start of an extra period. This is one of those cajillion situations that we are expected to handle flawlessly even though it is a once in a lifetime (or maybe less) thing.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

I appreciate the response. Thanks!!
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
The only time the scenario you describe comes into play is when there is a foul during the jump ball at the start of an extra period.
Here's a very nit-picky point, which I'm sure JAR already knows, but just to be precise. . .

The foul could occur after the jump ball has ended (ball touched the floor, official, or non-jumper), but before control has been established by either team.

It doesn't have to be literally during the jump ball. Very small point, sorry.