The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

I had this posted on another thread...but I think it would be better served here:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Question 101: You witness a coach suiting up a player that isn't on the roster and is not eleigible for this level of play:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get your point WCB...but, lets expand on your question and try and make this a learning experience.

So, let's take out the roster bit and add this scenario...

You saw player A1 get ejected Friday night in the Varsity game...

its now the next night, Saturday, you are the R in this Varsity contest. You see A1 warming up...

What do you do?

BTW, would it be cheating if A1 played?

[Edited by RookieDude on Nov 15th, 2004 at 04:45 PM]
Richland, WA
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

I would think this would be similar to a player being disqualified and the coach trying to put him back in. I would call a direct technical on the coach. Also, if I had evidence that this player was not even a high school student or something along those lines I would report that coach to my assignment secretary and also to the High School Athletic Association.

Let's see what everyone else thinks
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Now I'm a little rusty in areas like this, but is there anything in the fed rules that make him inelegible the game following an ejection? I don't think so. Therefore, unless I have been given something in writing that tells me he should be ineligible he would be allowed to play.

To put it in similar terms...Texas has a No Pass, No Play law. As an official, I am not required to check the eligibility of the players on report card day. It is up to the school to ensure only eligible students participate in extra-cirricular activities. If they allow someone to participate who is ineligible, they forfiet the contest. Just had a HS band in the area disqualified from the State Marching Contest because one student marched at the area competition when they were ineligible.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:08pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

its now the next night, Saturday, you are the R in this Varsity contest. You see A1 warming up...

What do you do?

[Edited by RookieDude on Nov 15th, 2004 at 04:45 PM]
What do I do??? Absolutely nothing - there's nothing I can do...for all I know there has been an appeal filed with the State and the kid is eligible to play tonight...using an ineligible player is a matter for the AD's and the league and the State Activities Association - I get paid to officiate the game...

Is it cheating: possibly - if the kid is ineligible...but again, not my call, not my jurisdiction...
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm with Rocky on this one. We're told specifically here (in Portland Oregon) that we are not to get involved in eligibility issues. if a coach or fan or other player or scoretable person or AD or anyone question the eligibility of a player we just say, "I have no authority over that. You need to contact the OSAA if you think the other team is cheating in this way, and they'll take the necessary action."
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

I bring it to the coach's attention, but I do not "enforce" any rule.

If the kid plays (and maybe even if he doesn't), I write the state.

Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

What I was told was that it's none of my business as an official to determine eligibility, just to ref the game. If I had specific info about a player who may have participated (i.e. read a report that said he was ejected the previous game), I would note that in a report to the assignor, but I would not directly penalize a team. As has been said, there is an appeal process in some states that could be underway and eligibility is not mentioned in the rules. Penalizing here could open a huge can of worms for any official, the problem's administrative in nature and should be handled there.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 08:24pm
Administrator

Game officials are only responsible for officiating the games per the NFHS rules. StateHSAA eligiblity rules do not fall into that domain. Just officiate the game and let the school administrators do what they are paid to do.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Consequences?

Here is what can happen if an ineligible player participates

quote from IHSA.org website

IHSA Announcement

"October 18, 2004

IHSA Board Sustains Taylor Ridge (Rockridge) Forfeit

The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Board of Directors, in a special hearing held today (Oct. 18) at the Illinois Principals Association Conference in Springfield, sustained the Executive Director’s ruling that Taylor Ridge (Rockridge) must forfeit its Sept. 24 football victory over Knoxville.

Executive Director Dr. Martin Hickman had previously found that Rockridge failed to enforce the provisions of IHSA By-law 6.011, which requires a player who is ejected from a game to sit out the next contest at the same level of competition."

Maybe just a comment to the coach could avoid this kind of future issue.

Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RookieDude
[B] I had this posted on another thread...but I think it would be better served here:

quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Question 101: You witness a coach suiting up a player that isn't on the roster and is not eleigible for this level of play:

I get your point WCB...but, lets expand on your question and try and make this a learning experience.

What do you do?

You do nothing. That is something for the State association to decide. Leave that one alone and let the school's figure it out.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Re: Consequences?

Quote:
Originally posted by golfdesigner
Here is what can happen if an ineligible player participates

quote from IHSA.org website

IHSA Announcement

"October 18, 2004

IHSA Board Sustains Taylor Ridge (Rockridge) Forfeit

The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Board of Directors, in a special hearing held today (Oct. 18) at the Illinois Principals Association Conference in Springfield, sustained the Executive Director’s ruling that Taylor Ridge (Rockridge) must forfeit its Sept. 24 football victory over Knoxville.

Executive Director Dr. Martin Hickman had previously found that Rockridge failed to enforce the provisions of IHSA By-law 6.011, which requires a player who is ejected from a game to sit out the next contest at the same level of competition."

Maybe just a comment to the coach could avoid this kind of future issue.

No, it's out of our domain. Leave that to the administrators of the school. Just ref the players that are put in the book and leave it at that.

Z
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Origianlly posted by WindyCityBlue
...would have handled it before having to eject the coach or escalating it.
WCB,
That is why I posted this question, to see the varied responses.
The Association I belong to, here in WA state, does not want us to eject the Coach, or do anything for that matter regarding this situation.
As some have said, there may be an appeal etc.

I would, however, notify my assignor after the game and let him know the circumstances so that he may notify the State concerning this matter.

Maybe baseball does it different than basketball?

Richland, WA