The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Question for you NCAA officials...I'm a NFHS official who has the opportunity to officiate a D-III scrimmage tonight, and I just want a quick clarification for tonight. On last shot situations, the table side official, whether trail or center, has the last shot, correct? Now what about on shot clock violations? Whose responsibility is that?
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

either the trail or slot, OPPOSITE THE TABLE, has last 2nd shots....
either trail or slot on shot clock violation
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Question for you NCAA officials...I'm a NFHS official who has the opportunity to officiate a D-III scrimmage tonight, and I just want a quick clarification for tonight. On last shot situations, the table side official, whether trail or center, has the last shot, correct? Now what about on shot clock violations? Whose responsibility is that?
If it's mens then the C or T OPPOSITE table has the last shot except for unusual situations.

I'm not sure how the women's side handles it.

In any case pregame this with the crew. Hopefully you'll have a very good pregame, get there early.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

THANKS!
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:29pm
Esteemed Participant

In Women's, the C always has last second shot...as for shot-clock violations, it's whose primary the ball is in at the time of the violation, so all three could possibly call a shot-clock violation at one point or another...
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
In Women's, the C always has last second shot
This is why many crews "lock down" after a certain point on the game clock. No rotations after a set point, maybe within the last shot clock period (30 seconds). Since the C always has the last shot, they don't want to change the C at the last second and have confusion about who has responsibility for the shot.

Rocky, is there a mandated lock down for all NCAAW crews? Or is it a crew-by-crew decision?
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Rocky, is there a mandated lock down for all NCAAW crews? Or is it a crew-by-crew decision?
I worked a couple of 3-person NCAAW scrimmages this year and was told that there was no rotation in the last minute (although L could still come across if there was a good reason).
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 05:42pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I worked a couple of 3-person NCAAW scrimmages this year and was told that there was no rotation in the last minute (although L could still come across if there was a good reason).
WHOA!! The last minute??? Wrong...No rotations once the shot clock has been turned off...most of us also add when we under 5 (or 8) seconds on any shot clock period...the L can still come across if needed, but the C and T do not rotate so there's no mix-up on who has the clock...
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
That is correct, as long as we have a shot clock on, we can still rotate in the women's side. I do both, and that is how we handle the end of game here in Texas.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

How we do it here is to lock down the C and T with less than 30 seconds to go, the L can go back and forth as he sees fit, but it's up to him to balance the floor again if the ball goes the other way.