The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Talking

boys hs varsity Scrimmage game

A1 inbounding on the side(front court), even with the rim! Reaches ball across the plane where B1 swats up at the ball, since it is legal, the ball actually comes out of A1's hands over B1's head and goes into A1's basket!!!!!

Someone please give me something????
Basket counts for team A, 2 points or 3 points
no basket because it came from out of bounds....

Since team B hit it would it be considered a try at an opponents basket eventhough it was out of bounds and if you awarded any points it would have to be just 2! Can i even award these points!!
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 10:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
boys hs varsity Scrimmage game

A1 inbounding on the side(front court), even with the rim! Reaches ball across the plane where B1 swats up at the ball, since it is legal, the ball actually comes out of A1's hands over B1's head and goes into A1's basket!!!!!

Someone please give me something????
Basket counts for team A, 2 points or 3 points
no basket because it came from out of bounds....

Since team B hit it would it be considered a try at an opponents basket eventhough it was out of bounds and if you awarded any points it would have to be just 2! Can i even award these points!!
Count two points for ball legally going through the basket, but not qualifying as a "try".
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mick. The ball touch someone in bounds (B1 swatting the ball). The ball flight was not a try, since it went of B1. Count two points. I hope you would chop the clock when the ball left the hands of A1.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

What if B1 throws a long pass (behind the 3 pt. line) to B2 and the ball goes in the basket...it is not a try in the officials judgement...

I got 3 pts!

Richland, WA
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Mick can you clarify:

[/QUOTE]Count two points for ball legally going through the basket, but not qualifying as a "try". [/QUOTE]

If the basket still counts then is this just a clarification for the scorer to not award the points to anyone specifically but still count the basket?

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 5-2-1 says to count three points on a "...try, tap, or thrown ball..."

Rule 4-40 defines tap and try as attempts to score. I don't think you could count what happened in your game as attempts to score. It doesn't sound like it could be a throw, but there doesn't seem to be a definition for "throw". It sounds more like a "bat".

By strictly interpreting the rules, it sounds like two points. In the case of the long pass that RookieDude suggests, it seems like I could call that a throw.

Rick
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
What if B1 throws a long pass (behind the 3 pt. line) to B2 and the ball goes in the basket...it is not a try in the officials judgement...

I got 3 pts!

If B1 throws the ball to B2 and the ball goes in A's basket, it's 2. If B's basket, it's 3. i think.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by kgruber
Mick can you clarify:

Count two points for ball legally going through the basket, but not qualifying as a "try". [/QUOTE]

If the basket still counts then is this just a clarification for the scorer to not award the points to anyone specifically but still count the basket?
[/QUOTE]

It counts as two points because it touched someone inbounds then went into the basket. It's not a "try", because you cannot have a "try" at an opponent's basket. This means if B1 was fouled as he batted the ball, it is not a shooting foul, in fact - the ball would be dead and the basket would not count.

Also - by NF rules - no player gets credit for the points. They are listed as a footnote on the scoresheet.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

I got 3 pts!

If B1 throws the ball to B2 and the ball goes in A's basket, it's 2. If B's basket, it's 3. i think.
Yes, rainmaker, you are right...I should have been more clear. B1 was throwing to B2 in their frontcourt...ball goes in B's basket.
3 pts.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

I got 3 pts!

Yes, rainmaker, you are right...I should have been more clear. B1 was throwing to B2 in their frontcourt...ball goes in B's basket.
3 pts.
True. Not relevant to the situation in this thread, but true.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the help in this situation..

i did just count 2 pts. and told score keeper give the points as team pts.. not to a particular player..

if this is any indication on what is to come, then it's going to be a heck of a season..
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Re: thanks for the help in this situation..

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
i did just count 2 pts. and told score keeper give the points as team pts.. not to a particular player..

if this is any indication on what is to come, then it's going to be a heck of a season..
You did it right. See 5-2-1 and 5-2-3 for NFHS rules support.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
I hope you would chop the clock when the ball left the hands of A1.
Interesting point here. When does the clock start on this play? When it's touched by the inbounds player? When the ball leaves the inbounder's hand?

How about the case where the inbounder holds the ball through the plane and the defender ties him up? Should the clock start in that sitch?
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 10:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
I hope you would chop the clock when the ball left the hands of A1.
1) nteresting point here. When does the clock start on this play? When it's touched by the inbounds player? When the ball leaves the inbounder's hand?

2) How about the case where the inbounder holds the ball through the plane and the defender ties him up? Should the clock start in that sitch?
1)legally touched by in-bounds player.

1)Clock starts on legal touching by in-bounds player. Stops on whistle for held ball. Happy chopping. Be quick. Btw, on this play, if this was an AP throw-in by A1, who would get the arrow now?

Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Assuming there was an initial direction already set, and since there is no violation, the alternating possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends. The throw-in ends when the ball was touched by the player who was inbounds. Therefore, change the arrow to B and make sure the table knows to change the arrow.