The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Does the NFHS allow gray? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16440-does-nfhs-allow-gray.html)

Nevadaref Mon Nov 15, 2004 08:38am

Anyone have something written by the NFHS saying that the gray shirts either are or are not allowed?
According to the minutes of the April 17-20, 2004 meeting the committee took no action on a proposed rule change that would permit the gray shirts. I'm wondering if something recently has been put out.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Nov 15th, 2004 at 08:41 AM]

Ref_ Fred Mon Nov 15, 2004 09:11am

Grey Shirts

I officiate for two organizations, One with traditional white/black stripes and the other grey. I would perfer one or the other.

Rich Mon Nov 15, 2004 09:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Anyone have something written by the NFHS saying that the gray shirts either are or are not allowed?
According to the minutes of the April 17-20, 2004 meeting the committee took no action on a proposed rule change that would permit the gray shirts. I'm wondering if something recently has been put out.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Nov 15th, 2004 at 08:41 AM]

Regardless of the NFHS position, it's up to the states to decide what its officials will wear.

BktBallRef Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:12am

The official NFHS uniform is in the rule book. States may choose to go a different route but the NFHS has not approved gray shirts.

imaref Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:39am

Wisconsin currently does not allow it!

I was lobbying WIAA to allow "option" as long as crews were consistant. The state chose not to allow the option citing several reasons. (Most were weak, IMHO). Added expense, look too much like NBA, many officials prefer the traditional B&W look.....on and on.

I will tell you that my partner and I have worn the Gray Shirt for scrimmages (in season), and during summer AAU ball as well as high school all-star games during the off season.

Hopefully, Wisconsin will ok the change sooner than later! Many coaches and spectators have mentioned they like the look and ironically have stated that the officials are "less noticeable" and fosters a less confrontational persona. I would agree....we seem to be better received when in our "grays" vs. the B&Ws. Don't ask me why....test it for yourselves.....you decide.

wl

IAABO_Ref Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:17pm

Here in Maine some boards allow grey as an option some that grey is the primary shirt color and some that don’t allow it at all. But come tournament time grey is the only color you’ll see officials wearing.

imaref Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:23pm

IAABO_Ref perspective!

Good approach in Maine! Wish Wisconsin would be a leader at the state association level, rather than a follower. Look, other sports have gone to alternate shirts....why not basketball?

Peace....wl

Mark Padgett Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:59pm

Currently, the NF only allows gray on top of the head.

Snake~eyes Mon Nov 15, 2004 01:11pm

Re: IAABO_Ref perspective!

Quote:

Originally posted by imaref
Look, other sports have gone to alternate shirts....why not basketball?
They have?

Jurassic Referee Mon Nov 15, 2004 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
That means that Dan will have to spray-paint the top of his head. It's currently skin-covered.

rainmaker Mon Nov 15, 2004 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

That means that Dan will have to spray-paint the top of his head. It's currently skin-covered.

He said allow, not required. It it was required, some of us youngsters would also be in trouble.

Mark Padgett Mon Nov 15, 2004 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

He said allow, not required. It it was required, some of us youngsters would also be in trouble.

And who exactly would that be, Juulie? ;)

JRutledge Mon Nov 15, 2004 03:38pm

Re: IAABO_Ref perspective!

Quote:

Originally posted by imaref
Good approach in Maine! Wish Wisconsin would be a leader at the state association level, rather than a follower. Look, other sports have gone to alternate shirts....why not basketball?

Peace....wl

And what sports might that be?

Peace

som44 Mon Nov 15, 2004 03:40pm

Up here in New Hampshire we can use either--just both officials need to be wearing the same. This started last year

imaref Mon Nov 15, 2004 04:17pm

alternate shirts

soccer....baseball and/or softball....