The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting situation in a scrimmage. I was trail when B1 steals the ball from A1 at midcourt. B1 has made a controlled tap from A1 directly towards me. I was in transition as the new lead when I inadvertently kicked the ball out of bounds.

There was no way the ball would have gone out unless I had kicked it. However, I seem to recall the rule in this situation would penalize B1 by giving the ball back to Team A.

Who should get the ball and how is the rule administered?
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

you would have to go with whoever had team control at the time of the kick out of bounds and give the ball to the other team!!!! So do you consider the tap control or not??? your decision!
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djskinn
Interesting situation in a scrimmage. I was trail when B1 steals the ball from A1 at midcourt. B1 has made a controlled tap from A1 directly towards me. I was in transition as the new lead when I inadvertently kicked the ball out of bounds.

There was no way the ball would have gone out unless I had kicked it. However, I seem to recall the rule in this situation would penalize B1 by giving the ball back to Team A.

Who should get the ball and how is the rule administered?
It's not who had team control last, it's who touched it last that matters.

The ball hitting the official is just like the ball hitting the floor (except that the floor doesn't feel like a goofball when the ball hits it). Team A gets the ball if B1 hit it last. That's the way it goes sometimes. Nice that it was a scrimmage rather than the first game of the year.

Z
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I thought it was whoever touched the ball last.

Per my situation, the steal and the controlled tip by B1 just happened to get tangled in my legs. Otherwise, B1 has an easy 2 points.

This really puts Team B at a disadvantage.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 02:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
you would have to go with whoever had team control at the time of the kick out of bounds and give the ball to the other team!!!! So do you consider the tap control or not??? your decision!
Naw, Z has the right answer. The violation is on the last player in-bounds to touch it before the ball went OOB. Control of any kind doesn't matter. R7-2-1.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

your correct, my bad i was thinking of a prior discussion about team control and had a "brain cramp".... thank God it's friday!!
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djskinn
I thought it was whoever touched the ball last.

Per my situation, the steal and the controlled tip by B1 just happened to get tangled in my legs. Otherwise, B1 has an easy 2 points.

This really puts Team B at a disadvantage.

How does this put B at a disadvantage if they had a "steal and controlled tip"? Were you running down the middle of the floor? I don't mean to be a smart-elic.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE
"How does this put B at a disadvantage if they had a "steal and controlled tip"? Were you running down the middle of the floor? I don't mean to be a smart-elic."
[/QUOTE]

Good question. I was just a few feet from the sideline. The ball was tipped forward and to my right (courtside). The ball just happened to catch my leg and I caused the ball to go immediately left and out-of-bounds. Otherwise, the ball would have safely been on the court.

Also, the B1 was just a step or two from easily recovering the ball.

[Edited by djskinn on Nov 12th, 2004 at 04:07 PM]