The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Alternating Possession (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16410-alternating-possession.html)

Rick Durkee Fri Nov 12, 2004 02:14pm

Rule 6-4-3-e. States that an alternating possession throw-in shall result when "the ball becomes dead when neither team is in control and no goal or infraction or end of a quarter or extra period is involved." My imagination may be on break today, but what situation is this meant to cover?

Rick

Snake~eyes Fri Nov 12, 2004 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Rule 6-4-3-e. States that an alternating possession throw-in shall result when "the ball becomes dead when neither team is in control and no goal or infraction or end of a quarter or extra period is involved." My imagination may be on break today, but what situation is this meant to cover?

Rick

Tweet! Oops inadvertent whistle.

gordon30307 Fri Nov 12, 2004 02:57pm

held ball, ball lodged on the backboard, comes to rest on the flange, out of bounds and uncertain who touched it last...............

Rick Durkee Fri Nov 12, 2004 03:05pm

Perhaps I didn't include enough of the rule, but held ball and ball coming to rest on the flange are covered in other parts of rule 6-4-3. Would you consider the ball "out of bounds and uncertain who touched it last" an infraction? I do understand the inadvertent whistle. I am not currently near my rulebook, so I am wondering how the book covers inadvertent whistle. I will look into it later.

Rick

cmathews Fri Nov 12, 2004 03:12pm

aren't inadvertant whistles given to the team last in control, except in a situation where there is no team control established??? I also don't have my books handy..

gordon30307 Fri Nov 12, 2004 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cmathews
aren't inadvertant whistles given to the team last in control, except in a situation where there is no team control established??? I also don't have my books handy..

I've never had a case where there was an inadvertent whistle where the ball wasn't given to the team last in control. I can't think of a situation where this wouldn't be the case. Are there situationw here this can occur?

cmathews Fri Nov 12, 2004 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:

Originally posted by cmathews

I've never had a case where there was an inadvertent whistle where the ball wasn't given to the team last in control. I can't think of a situation where this wouldn't be the case. Are there situationw here this can occur?

well there would be no team control during a try, or during a throw in...

ChuckElias Fri Nov 12, 2004 03:38pm

Quote:

what situation is this meant to cover?
Double personal fouls during an unsuccessful try.

Rick Durkee Fri Nov 12, 2004 05:20pm

Wouldn't a double foul be an infraction?

bob jenkins Fri Nov 12, 2004 05:27pm

Quote:

Yes. Ignore Chuck (this time). ;) Double fouls in FED always use the AP; they're covered under 6-4-3f.

The rule is to cover an accidental whistle during a time when there is no team control. See 7.5.4, especially (c)

ChuckElias Fri Nov 12, 2004 08:10pm

Quote:

No, it's two infractions.

(And one brain-dead moment for me. :rolleyes: )

Mark Padgett Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

No, it's two infractions.

(And one brain-dead moment for me. :rolleyes: )

Is that similar to a "brain infarction"?