The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Two clarifications of NCAA Men`s Rules.

1. During A-1 first of two free throws, a double personal foul is charged. The official awards A-1 his second free throw and resumes play off the make or miss. Is the official correst?
I thought the answer was Yes, resume play with the 2nd FT. But the answer is No. Could someone clarify why?

2. During free throws, the 1st lane spaces must be occupied by opponents of the FT shooter. The 4th lane spaces must not be occupied by either team. If a teammate of the FT shooter chooses not to occupy one the 2nd lane spaces, may an opponent of the FT shooter occupy that space? I do know that the 3rd lane space may be occupied by a teammate if the opponents do not occupy it.

Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

#1 i would also think this would be yes, but must be missing something... maybe shot not released yet, live ball dead ball...were missing something ( maybe they let him finish the 2nd freethrow lane cleared and then go with possession arrow) wouldn't think so, that's not point of interruption

#2 if a member of the shooting team does not want that space, the defense can move down as long as there are still only 4 defensive players in all spaces.. the only two that are mandatory are the bottom 2 with defensive players..

[Edited by jritchie on Nov 12th, 2004 at 10:24 AM]
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
#1: Double personal doesn't go to point of interruption, it goes to team in control at the time of the foul. Since there is no team control during the FT, clear the lanes, shoot the second FT, then go to the arrow for a throw-in at the spot nearest where the foul occurred.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Lotto

Why is there no team control during a free throw. I understand no team control during a shot, but while A1 is holding the ball to shot I think that would be team control. Team A can call a time-out at this time which would be team control to me. Or are you saying this double foul occured while the ball was in the air? If so I understand that, but what would the call be if the double foul occured before the release on the first of two foul shots? My quess is kill the shot report the off-setting fouls and shot the second shot. If it was the last shot then kill the shot report fouls and give the ball to A at the closest point to the foul.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
Lotto

Why is there no team control during a free throw. I understand no team control during a shot, but while A1 is holding the ball to shot I think that would be team control. Team A can call a time-out at this time which would be team control to me. Or are you saying this double foul occured while the ball was in the air? If so I understand that, but what would the call be if the double foul occured before the release on the first of two foul shots? My quess is kill the shot report the off-setting fouls and shot the second shot. If it was the last shot then kill the shot report fouls and give the ball to A at the closest point to the foul.
To me if the FT shooter is still holding the ball when the double foul occurs, go to the point of infraction which is to have the first FT shot. If the fouls occured while the ball is in the air, resumptio of play would be the 2nd FT.

Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
#1: Double personal doesn't go to point of interruption, it goes to team in control at the time of the foul. Since there is no team control during the FT, clear the lanes, shoot the second FT, then go to the arrow for a throw-in at the spot nearest where the foul occurred.
i believe lotto is correct.... clear the lane, finish the free throws, because you don't go to point of interuption on a double personal, but you do on a double technical...so then go possession arrow!!
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
Quote:
i believe lotto is correct.... clear the lane, finish the free throws, because you don't go to point of interuption on a double personal, but you do on a double technical...so then go possession arrow!!
The ball does go back to the team in control with no shot clock reset and no free throws on a double personal. If there's no team control (as in this test question) then go to the arrow.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
Quote:
The ball does go back to the team in control with no shot clock reset and no free throws on a double personal. If there's no team control (as in this test question) then go to the arrow.
Dan,
If this occurs on the 1st foul shot, why does the shooter lose the right to his 2nd free throw?
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Dan,
If this occurs on the 1st foul shot, why does the shooter lose the right to his 2nd free throw?
He doesn't.