The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Nobody's "worrying", but it's in the book for a reason, so we might as well know what to do if it happens.

And I doubt the coach would throw in the towel if he was up by 12 with 40 seconds left, even with only player available.
Old Sat Nov 13, 2004, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
why worry about it, in 33 years i have never had less then 3 players on one team. the coach would probably quit playing, what if that one player was injured and could not continue.
I've had it happen (got down to two and one of them had 4 fouls) and have heard of it happening to others.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
As a player that is throwing in the ball. Throw it to the last line of defense and hope he uses a lot of time bringing it back and play super defense. Hopefully you have less than a minute left in the game and a twenty point lead.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Quote:
Originally posted by cford
This is a throw in violation, so it would go back to where the ball was originally thrown in.

Good try though
This came up in one of associations meetings. You penalize it where the violation occurred. The violation was where the player touched the ball. Spot throw-in. If the throw in was not touched by any player before going out of bounds at the opposite endline, then you bring it back to the spot where the ball was inbounded.

This exact play is covered in this year's interps. See nfhs.org

2004-05 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 7: Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball and steps out of bounds at the end line to prepare for a throw-in. B1 attempts an entry pass that goes near the division line, but no opponent or teammate is nearby to secure the ball. B1 enters the court and becomes the first player to touch the ball. RULING: B1 has committed a throw-in violation. Team A will be awarded a throw-in at a designated spot on the end line, which was the original throw-in location. (9-2-6 Penalty)

Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Its also on the Fed test. #80.

Q: "The throw-in is at the division line when A1, who is inbounding the ball under B's basket, is the first to touch the ball near the division line."

I put "False" because it is a throw in violation and thus B gets the ball at the original throw in spot.

I hope I'm right

Clark
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by totalnewbie
Its also on the Fed test. #80.

Q: "The throw-in is at the division line when A1, who is inbounding the ball under B's basket, is the first to touch the ball near the division line."

I put "False" because it is a throw in violation and thus B gets the ball at the original throw in spot.

I hope I'm right

Clark
According to the answer key, #80 is False.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

I got suckered into the "division line throw in" red herring when I first read through the question. So my gut said "it's a division line throw in, so the answer must be true." One good thing about being a newbie is that I know I dont know anything. So I read the rule.

R9-2-6 "The thrower shall not...touch the ball in the court before it touches or is touched by another player."

Which is what happens in the question. It just so happens that the violation occurs near the division line. But by rule that is irrelevant:

Per R9-6 the penalty is "the ball becomes dead when the violation occurs" and the ball is "awareded to the opponent for a throw-in at the original throw-in spot," which, in the question, is under B's basket not the division line.

This test has actually been fun. (yeah, I know, I'm sick)

Clark