The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I see a lot of travels that people insist are "jump stops", probably because they saw it on TV during NBA game. I believe that if people see something (or say something)often enough they begin to believe it. So, i'd like to know if anybody can recommend a spot to see video, or of a video for rent/sale, that shows legal and illegal renditions of this infamous technique.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I believe this year's NCAA "pre-season" video for officials has some excellent examples. It might've been last year's, but I think we saw it this year.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
I posted this in another thread, but it may be helpful here. It's straight from the 2005 NCAA rulebook, where it is a new definition this year. It's pretty clear (especially when compared to certain other parts of the book).

Section 42. Jump Stop. Art. 1. A jump stop is executed when a player catches the ball while moving or dribbling with: a. One foot on the playing court, jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously on both feet (no pivot foot). b. Two feet off the playing court, lands on one foot, jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously on both feet (no pivot foot). Art. 2. A jump stop may also be executed when the dribbler has one foot on the playing court, initiates a jump off that foot, ends the dribble with both feet off the playing court and lands simultaneously on both feet (either foot can be established as the pivot foot).
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck:
Where would I find such video? Is it available for free viewing, or do I need to purchase?
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hard
Chuck:
Where would I find such video? Is it available for free viewing, or do I need to purchase?
I bought this year`s version for 15$. Just received it. Very good examples of jump stops, post play, handchecking etc....

Try this link.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/video/officiating.html
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Section 42. Jump Stop. Art. 1. A jump stop is executed when a player catches the ball while moving or dribbling with: a. One foot on the playing court, jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously on both feet (no pivot foot). b. Two feet off the playing court, lands on one foot, jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously on both feet (no pivot foot).
Apparently, everybody has started referring to this move (which results in no pivot foot) as a "hop-stop".
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Section 42. Jump Stop. Art. 1. A jump stop is executed when a player catches the ball while moving or dribbling with: a. One foot on the playing court, jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously on both feet (no pivot foot). b. Two feet off the playing court, lands on one foot, jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously on both feet (no pivot foot).
Apparently, everybody has started referring to this move (which results in no pivot foot) as a "hop-stop".
Bob