Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

Emily Litella said, "Nevermind."

Not Roseann Roseanna Danna.
It's always something [/B][/QUOTE]

That goes to show ya!
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

We used to judge it by if they took two steps laterally. Of course that is a judgment too, but we aren't going to split hairs over 2.9 feet, etc.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

It's 3 feet wide with a restriction to be on or over that spot.

I'm not that tall and if I measure 18" from the center of that 3 foot area, and place my foot inside the 36" mark, I was able to get my other foot 56" from that center spot.

For a tall player, with one foot on or over that outer boundary, can easily get 6 feet from the center of that designated spot.
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
If the official designates a single spot, then allowing the player to move his trailing foot to a point 3 feet on either side of that point is allowing the thrower a 6 foot box.
I'm not advocating a 6' box, Camron. Neither am I limiting the thrower to 18" to either side of the middle.

Quote:
I do agree that the player can effectively move a great distance without violating and that the player's initial point may or may not be the center of the spot.
Exactly!

Quote:
Let's say that the throwin spot is precisely at the division line. Thrower moves left such that the edge of his right foot is 2'11.9" from the division line extended. Has he violated? Maybe...up to the official's interpretation of that spot. Now, if the player then moves right such that the trailing edge of his left foot is just 1" on the other size of the division line, that player has most certainly violated. The total size of the box used is greater than 3'. He can't go so far as to have his left foot 3 feet past the division line...that would be a 6' box.
A picture is worth a thousand words.

The original play states "A1 moves horizontally approximately (2) feet."

Linear Feet------------___1___2___3___4___5___6

Thrower's feet---------|L-------R|

He moves--------------|------------L----------R|

The thrower has moved both feet, two feet. Is the thrower's left foot still within the 3' spot that he started out in? D@mn right it is. Has he moved beyond that area without leaving one foot over or on the spot? No, he has not.

He could just as easily moved to his left to begin with in the same manner. But now that he has moved right, I'm not going to allow him to leave the initial 3 foot spot that I established by pointing and that he defined when he moved to his right. IOW, I'm not going to allow him to move as below:

Linear Feet------------___1___2___3___4___5___6

Thrower's feet---------|L-------R|

He moves--------------|------------L----------R|

Then back--|L------R|

That would be a violation, because he's not over or on the original 3' spot.

Again, the spot is not 18" to either side of the middle of where the thrower is standing. If guys are calling it like this, they must be calling a helluva lot of spot violations.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Nov 11th, 2004 at 08:03 PM]