The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   illegal contact during Free Throw? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16371-illegal-contact-during-free-throw.html)

ysong Tue Nov 09, 2004 06:29pm

According to NBA rule 12-B-I-a: "A player shall not hold, push, charge into, impede the progress of an oppo-nent by extending a hand, forearm, leg or knee or by bending the body into a position that is not normal. Contact that results in the rerouting of an opponent is a foul which must be called immediately."

But during Free throws, almost ALL defenders on the free throw lane spaces extend their arms to lock opponents out. they keep their arms on the opponents even after the ball is released.

I don't think those pushing or hand-checkings fit any of the "exceptions" of rule 12-B-I-a. But what do I miss here? Are those contacts during free throw really illegal?

Thanks.

Mark Padgett Tue Nov 09, 2004 07:05pm

Yes, they are. When they line up for the free throw, tell them to keep their arms within their own spaces. After the thirty-seventh time you tell them, they may start to listen.

coachz_216 Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Yes, they are. When they line up for the free throw, tell them to keep their arms within their own spaces. After the thirty-seventh time you tell them, they may start to listen.

It only takes thiry-seven times??

rainmaker Wed Nov 10, 2004 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ysong
According to NBA rule 12-B-I-a: "A player shall not hold, push, charge into, impede the progress of an oppo-nent by extending a hand, forearm, leg or knee or by bending the body into a position that is not normal. Contact that results in the rerouting of an opponent is a foul which must be called immediately."

But during Free throws, almost ALL defenders on the free throw lane spaces extend their arms to lock opponents out. they keep their arms on the opponents even after the ball is released.

I don't think those pushing or hand-checkings fit any of the "exceptions" of rule 12-B-I-a. But what do I miss here? Are those contacts during free throw really illegal?

Thanks.

What you're missing here, is all the classes and interps that the NBA gives their refs. "They" don't do it like "we" do, period. Don't use them for guidelines on how to call hs or college ball, unless your assignor or interpreter tell you to.

Nevadaref Thu Nov 11, 2004 03:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Mark,
I believe that you are incorrect to instruct the players to keep their arms within their own marked-lane spaces. According to NFHS rules there is no restriction on extending the arms into another players space. If there is not any contact, there is nothing to call. If there is contact, you need to decide whether or not to call a foul, but you should not tell them not to do this.

The reason that this action is legal is that 9-1-9 specifically states the FOOT may not break the vertical plane. It puts no restrictions on other body parts.

ysong Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:20am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by ysong

Thanks.

What you're missing here, is all the classes and interps that the NBA gives their refs. "They" don't do it like "we" do, period. Don't use them for guidelines on how to call hs or college ball, unless your assignor or interpreter tell you to.

Any insights about those NBA guidelines or interps? It is appearent to me that they use different rules during free throw regarding illegal contacts. Any one can offer helps on NBA rules in free throw situation? Thanks.