The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 07, 2004, 11:31pm
BBallinRick

Bear with me as I try to explain this best I can. A1 is dribbling up court after an offensive rebound (fast break situation) and will dribbling up court, B1 is gaining on A1. A1 sort of stops to throw his body/backside into B1 (Sam Cassell does this a lot in the NBA). If B1 knocks over A1, is this a foul on B1, even though he didn't cause it? Also, (for those who understand at all what I'm trying to say) can A1 be called for any foul here?
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 12:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Not if B1 just runs into A1.

Now if A1 initiates some contact, you could call a foul on them. But it would be unlikely if B1 cannot avoid A1 who has the ball.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallinRick
Bear with me as I try to explain this best I can. A1 is dribbling up court after an offensive rebound (fast break situation) and will dribbling up court, B1 is gaining on A1. A1 sort of stops to throw his body/backside into B1 (Sam Cassell does this a lot in the NBA). If B1 knocks over A1, is this a foul on B1, even though he didn't cause it? Also, (for those who understand at all what I'm trying to say) can A1 be called for any foul here?
BBallinRick,

For future posts, I think you mean after a defensive rebound by A1 rather than an offensive rebound. If it was an offensive rebound, A1 would probably have gone right back to the hoop rather than dribbling up court right?

Case 10.6.2 Situation C says the following: "When both the dribbler and the opponent are moving in exactly the same path and same direction, the player behind is responsible for contact which results if the player in front slows down or stops." So if all A1 did is slow down is stop, it's pretty clear that the foul would be on B1.

However, you say that A1 "sort of stops to throw his body/backside into B1" I think I'd have to see exactly what A1 did to know if that was a foul on A1 or not.

Z
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 01:10am
BBallinRick

Oh yeah, defensive rebound, sorry. And thanks a lot guys, cleared it up pretty well for me.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Further clarification

I'm not sure that it's all cleared up for me.... If they are traveling down the same path, yes, O.K., the foul is on B1. But what I have seen, and I'm guessing that the original question here contemplated, is when A1 *moves into* B1's path and stops. A1 gets to the spot first, but B1 is going too fast to stop or change directions. Tough luck for B1?
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Re: Further clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
I'm not sure that it's all cleared up for me.... If they are traveling down the same path, yes, O.K., the foul is on B1. But what I have seen, and I'm guessing that the original question here contemplated, is when A1 *moves into* B1's path and stops. A1 gets to the spot first, but B1 is going too fast to stop or change directions. Tough luck for B1?
You're describing a screening action. Apply those rules (time and distance, etc.)

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Further clarification

Quote:
No, foul on A1. When ever getting to a postion in the path of a moving opponent (who does not have the ball), time and distance must be given for that opponent to stop or change directions. This can be up to two steps depending on the speed.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Further clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
No, foul on A1. When ever getting to a postion in the path of a moving opponent (who does not have the ball), time and distance must be given for that opponent to stop or change directions. This can be up to two steps depending on the speed.
If the foul is on A-1 (who is dribbling), then do you call it a player control foul?
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Further clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
If the foul is on A-1 (who is dribbling), then do you call it a player control foul?
Isn't A1 in control? Isn't a foul by a player who is in control of the ball (or an airborne shooter) a player control foul?
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Re: Further clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Isn't a foul by a player who is in control of the ball (or an airborne shooter) a player control foul?
Usually. . .
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Further clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Isn't a foul by a player who is in control of the ball (or an airborne shooter) a player control foul?
Usually. . .
Commonly ...

Good catch.