The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I did hear about a boys JV game going to 4 overtimes last Tuesday night. The game was preceding a game between the #2 and #3 teams in the state. There was a full house for it. People had come from 100 miles away just to see this game. My personal opinion is the offiicals had never had such a crowd and kept the game going so they could enjoy it. 1500 people was the capacity of the building. The varsity game was a 5 point differential in regulation. The #2 rated team won.

I also talked to an official four years ago who had just done a 7 overtime game the night before. He was still floating from that.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I have had plenty of 2OT and 1 3OT, but never a 4OT. I'm bad, but not that bad.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Poor Game Management I'd say
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

HOW ABOUT 5 OT'S

Had a boy's game that went 5 overtimes earlier this year. The home team hadn't won a conference game yet and the visiting team was in second place with a much better overall record. The two teams are fierce rivals in everything from forensics to football, so that just added to the intensity of the game. There were a couple of screwups by the table, the visiting team thought they were getting screwed, the coaches don't particularily like each other, the fairly large crowd was brutal to everyone, and by the second overtime the players were getting a bit testy too!! All the elements that make up a great high school basketball game. I applied a rule incorrectly which really got me in trouble, however it did not impact the outcome of the game. To top it all off, the conference commissioner was in the stands watching. I of course did not know this until we were in the locker room at the end of the game. There is a knock on the door, and in walks the commish!! He was not upset, but just wanted to clarify something that happened on the floor. The game itself lasted 3 1/2 hours. When it was over I was completely drained, physically and mentally!! However, it sure was FUN, and I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything!! Afterall, that's why we ref, isn't it???
Old Tue Feb 06, 2001, 01:41pm
Suppref

Talking FInd him!!!

Can't you guys find somneone who can make a free throw!!!
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

My post above about the JV game that did 4 overtimes. I found out last night that the game was officiated by a D1 official who took a couple JV games just for the fun of it. I'm sure that was the worst pay per hour he has seen in quite a while.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 04:48pm
Suppref

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
My post above about the JV game that did 4 overtimes. I found out last night that the game was officiated by a D1 official who took a couple JV games just for the fun of it. I'm sure that was the worst pay per hour he has seen in quite a while.
I guess it's nice to know he hasn't forgotten where he came from!!!
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

That was exactly why he took some games.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

our neighboor school (Century HS) has just had 5 (!!!) OTs in JV game
final score - 104-100
and the varsity was supposed to play in the same gym right after them, so i'm guessing they were delayed. but wait, the varsity game also went in OT!!!! (only 1 though)
Old Sun Feb 11, 2001, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

4ot games

jonfox, I have seen you call before! I'm surprised any of your games get over!! By the way good luck in the Indiana Girls Basketball Tournament!!!!!
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

kevin henney, thanks for the comment. you and jerry have great games in your first state tournaments also.