The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

For those few of you who officiate FIBA rules, I have a question regarding rule changes.

Two rules seem contradictory.

Rule 5.3 states that if an injured player cannot continue to play immediately, or, if he receives treatment, he must be substituted or the team must continue with fewer than five players

Rule 5.6 states that if an injured player or any player who is bleeding or has open wound recovers during a charged time-out taken by either team in the same stop-clock period, that player may continue to play.

Those two rules seem contradictory. Rule 5.3 used to be that a coach could take a TO to keep his player in the game, now he can't. Yet, Rule 5.6 says that if either team takes a TO, that player may continue if he has recovers.

What gives?

Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

looks like to me you would have to sub for that player, then call a timeout and let him back in the game... does seem contradictary to me too!
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
For those few of you who officiate FIBA rules, I have a question regarding rule changes.

Two rules seem contradictory.

Rule 5.3 states that if an injured player cannot continue to play immediately, or, if he receives treatment, he must be substituted or the team must continue with fewer than five players

Rule 5.6 states that if an injured player or any player who is bleeding or has open wound recovers during a charged time-out taken by either team in the same stop-clock period, that player may continue to play.

Those two rules seem contradictory. Rule 5.3 used to be that a coach could take a TO to keep his player in the game, now he can't. Yet, Rule 5.6 says that if either team takes a TO, that player may continue if he has recovers.

What gives?

As usual, they could have explained it better. Here is the interpretation I was told: the player may continue to play if the charged time-out has been requested before the player has received treatment. This was done in order to eliminate the possibility of "paying" with a TO the permanence of the injured player, as it was possible before the rule changes.
Ciao
Enrico
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA

Where can a guy get information about becoming FIBE certified??
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: FIBA

Quote:
Originally posted by runningwild
Where can a guy get information about becoming FIBE certified??
I am not sure what you mean by FIBA certified? Do you mean to officiate internationally? In Canada, that is done through our national association CABO. Where I live in New Brunswick, all high school and lower levels presently use FIBA rules, so when we become certified to referee it is obviously with FIBA rules. There are some Americans who officiate internationally (Sean Corbin for example), I don`t know what is the process to become certified. FIBA.COM has a section called "Rules Corner", you could try that.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Cool FIBA

Go to http://www.usabasketball.com for rules and regs to become USA and FIBA eligible. USA Basketball is the governing body in the US.