The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Same thing with foul calls, if you extend, it better be a trainwreck and you know your partner missed it or was screened out, especially in 3-person. Trust your partner's judgement, he/she usually has reason for making/passing on certain calls. [/B][/QUOTE]

Where dual coverages applies Call what you see. While I agree in the concept of trusting your partner there may be an equally good reason why your partner missed an obvious foul call that the fans in the rafters saw. If it's an obvious foul and your partner missed it call it. If I missed an obvious foul I would want my partner to call it. It's important to leave your ego in the locker room IMHO.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

When working two man and the ball is passed from my partner's primary and goes out on my line, I was taught to call the ball dead when it hits outside my line, keep my hand in the air and then look to my partner before indicating the direction. A little nonverbal communication goes a long way to cure this. This is a good topic for pregame meetings.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:27am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
I agree that basically only when you're 100% sure you're right AND your partner seems unsure with his call
Personally, I don't care if my partner is emphatic or not. If I'm sure s/he's wrong on a line call, I will go and offer what I saw.

Sometimes, being emphatic is an attempt to "sell" the call when the official is unsure. Being emphatic is not a good reason to allow an incorrect call to stand in OOB situations.
Sometimes being emphatic is also a way to tell your partners "I've got this one. There's a reason for it. Let it be."
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation PREGAME, PREGAME, PREGAME!!!

Well, all this illustrates why you HAVE TO DISCUSS THIS IN PREGAME. Because you can at the very least feel out how your partner thinks about these kinds of situations. Because none of this discussion matters as it relates to how emphatic or animated a partner is if you have no idea what their philosophy is. I understand you want to get it right, but it is also important to have harmony amongst partners too. If my partner wants that call, he can have it. I know I will ask for help when I am unsure. I will ask a lot when it is warranted. But the problem with that, there are guys that will get upset if you come to them and tell them what they missed. This is why you have to discuss this on some level. There is a reason you are suppose to be at a game early and have a long pregame to discuss many issues as it relates to the game you are about to officiate.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Rut's right, this is a pre-game issue. Just like there are several different opinions about this on this thread, there are different opinions about this with many different partners I have had. Because we always pre-game, it's always gone smooth during the game. As long as you and your partner(s) decide before the game how to handle this, you'll sail through just fine.

Z

P.S. I'm on the "get it right" side of the equation, but I can work with partners who don't want me coming in to give them help if that's the way they prefer.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Personally, I don't care if my partner is emphatic or not. If I'm sure s/he's wrong on a line call, I will go and offer what I saw.
Sometimes being emphatic is also a way to tell your partners "I've got this one. There's a reason for it. Let it be."
You got it, but you got it wrong. If I'm sure the line call (not a foul or travel or something) then I'm going to let you know that I have information for you. If you don't want it, fine. But then, you've knowingly let an incorrect call stand.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame Tips

I am starting to get more and more "R" games and am interested in some tips on what types of things I need to make sure is covered in my pregame. If someone could hopefully provide me with a small list of what I need to cover that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a link to a 2-person pregame form that I use:

http://home.officiating.com/scbowbo/pregame1.html

We're just beginning with 3-person officiating this year so I'll have to create a new one.

Z
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

that is great, I printed it out and will put it in my folder. Thanks a ton
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 02:05pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
You got it, but you got it wrong. If I'm sure the line call (not a foul or travel or something) then I'm going to let you know that I have information for you. If you don't want it, fine. But then, you've knowingly let an incorrect call stand.
Like I said, sometimes there's a reason for it and a partner needs to let it be...if I see you coming towards me on one of those occasions, I'm stopping you and telling you I've got it, let's go...that's why I don't go running in there - like I said before, I tell my partners I will freeze and stare at them - if they want my help, ask - if not, then away we go...