The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 06, 2004, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
I think this was just in here, but can't find it.

B1's momentum carries him out of bounds at midcourt while he throws ball back in bounds towards his basket. He then takes 3 or 4 steps out of bounds (his momentum direction), tracks down the ball at the free throw line extended, starts dribble and goes in for layup. Legal? Does he need to come back in at the spot he went out? NFHS rules.
Old Sat Nov 06, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

No. As long as he returns as soon as he's able to, he's fine.

Some officials are trying to make more out of this play than there is to it.

We don't need to be plumbers.
Old Sat Nov 06, 2004, 01:52pm
In Memoriam

NFHS case book play 7.1.1SitC.
Old Sat Nov 06, 2004, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

One could argue that the throw was a pass/beginning of a dribble, which would make it a double dribble if A1 returns in bounds secures the ball and starts a dribble.
Old Sat Nov 06, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
This year, this play will be a violation in the NCAA. At least, that's my understanding of the rule change.
Not true, to my understanding.

The change was to change a play that laste year would have been a T (e.g., running around a screen OOB) from a T to a V. The "momentum carries a player out of bounds" AR is still in the book as a legal play.

Old Sun Nov 07, 2004, 09:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
That's not we were told, Bob. We were told that intentionally going OOB to gain an advantage is still a T. I guess I'll go dig a little.
Chuck, even though you made the save in the air, you also made it in-bounds. You didn't then do anything OOB after landing there to gain any kind of an advantage, did you?
Old Sun Nov 07, 2004, 10:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Chuck, even though you made the save in the air, you also made it in-bounds. You didn't then do anything OOB after landing there to gain any kind of an advantage, did you?
Assuming that you went OOB inadvertantly (due to momentum), then you're right. In that case, coming back inbounds and being the first to touch the ball is, I believe, a violation this year in the NCAA.

Going OOB intentionally to gain an advantage (to go around a screen) is, I believe, still a T.
The point is that when you saved the ball, you weren't OOB. Therefore, going OOB after you saved the ball didn't give you any kind of advantage, did it? Ergo, no advantage --> no T.

Isn't the principle spelled out in NCAA 7-1-1AR1-"Legal. A1 has not left the court voluntarily and was not in control of the ball when leaving the playing court"?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 7th, 2004 at 10:41 AM]
Old Sun Nov 07, 2004, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I went back and deleted my posts in this thread, b/c the the AR seems very clear. I looked through Rule 10 and re-read the new violation. It is pretty obvious that Bob is absolutely right. Which means that the discussion at our pre-season meeting was very confused.
Old Sun Nov 07, 2004, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I went back and deleted my posts in this thread, b/c the the AR seems very clear. I looked through Rule 10 and re-read the new violation. It is pretty obvious that Bob is absolutely right. Which means that the discussion at our pre-season meeting was very confused.
Now we've got the confusion of Jurassic responding to ghost-posts.