The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

interesting play saturday night...

A1 and B1 tie up situation after a loose ball...Go with possession arrow, Team A ball!!!!

Hand A1 ball for throw in, A1 then reaches ball over plane in bounds and is Tied up by B1 before the ball is thrown in!

Jump ball again!!! Who's ball????? does the possession arrow switch, or stay with Team A because it never came in???

Because of the rules of when to switch possession arrow, i gave the ball back to Team A... i believe i was correct, just wanting to make sure...

Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 11:55am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie

A1 and B1 tie up situation after a loose ball...Go with possession arrow, Team A ball!!!!

Hand A1 ball for throw in, A1 then reaches ball over plane in bounds and is Tied up by B1 before the ball is thrown in!

Jump ball again!!! Who's ball????? does the possession arrow switch, or stay with Team A because it never came in???

Because of the rules of when to switch possession arrow, i gave the ball back to Team A... i believe i was correct, just wanting to make sure...

You were correct. The original AP throw-in had not ended when the held ball occured so Team A retains the arrow and will receive a new AP throw-in.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

I thought that the throw in by A-1 ended with the violation, so team B would have the next throw in under the APP. When B is awarded the ball for throw in the arrow would be switched to A for the next APP. Just remember if you do screw it up and either of the coaches complain just tell them tht you will give them the next 2 out of 3 held balls.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

the first possession arrow, never ended..we didn't have a violation to end it!!! we just had another jump ball.. the ball never came in so TEAM A kept the ARROW
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

that makes sense. just to make sure i understand another situation. If team A would have violated by stepping on the line or 5 seconds, whatever. that would have ended their throw in and B would get the ball. on the next held ball that would go to A, is that correct??
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
that makes sense. just to make sure i understand another situation. If team A would have violated by stepping on the line or 5 seconds, whatever. that would have ended their throw in and B would get the ball. on the next held ball that would go to A, is that correct??
A has the ball on an AP throw-in. On a throw-in violation (like the two you list), the AP throw-in ends and the arrow is switched, now pointing in B's direction. B gets a throw-in for the violation, but the next AP throw-in will belong to B, not A.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 01:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Just to clarify, if you're talking about the A player throwing the ball in stepping "on" the line during the throw-in, then that isn't a violation. The line is OOB. If the player throwing the ball in steps in-bounds, then there is a violation. If you're talking about any of the in-bounds A players stepping on a line while receiving the throw-in pass, then you also do have a violation in that instance.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

thanks JR for the clarification. i wanted to make sure i understood correctly, and you helped me with that.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie

You got it right. Your exact play is given in the Case Book. 6.4.5 SitB is entitled "Held Ball on throw-in -- No arrow change". That tells you your answer without even reading the ruling.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
See LOSS OF ARROW 6.4.5 Sit A in the Case Book.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

possession procedure

So what if team A1 has the AP, while inbounding and before the ball is released team B fouls A2 and its, A)bonus for team A or B)no bonus, ball is now ready for inbound nearest the foul. So now who has the AP after the foul if the ball has not been inbounded yet?
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 04:43am
Official Forum Member

Re: possession procedure

Quote:
Originally posted by xxssmen
So what if team A1 has the AP, while inbounding and before the ball is released team B fouls A2 and its, A)bonus for team A or B)no bonus, ball is now ready for inbound nearest the foul. So now who has the AP after the foul if the ball has not been inbounded yet?
6.4.5 Situation A Comment:
If a foul by either team occurs before an alternating-possession throw-in ends, the foul is penalized as required and play continues as it normally would, but the possession arrow is not reversed. The same team will still have the arrow for the next alternating-possession throw-in. The arrow is reversed when an alternating-possession throw-in ends.