The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Correct Possession procedure or not??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16337-correct-possession-procedure-not.html)

jritchie Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:49am

interesting play saturday night...

A1 and B1 tie up situation after a loose ball...Go with possession arrow, Team A ball!!!!

Hand A1 ball for throw in, A1 then reaches ball over plane in bounds and is Tied up by B1 before the ball is thrown in!

Jump ball again!!! Who's ball????? does the possession arrow switch, or stay with Team A because it never came in???

Because of the rules of when to switch possession arrow, i gave the ball back to Team A... i believe i was correct, just wanting to make sure...

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:55am

Quote:

Originally posted by jritchie

A1 and B1 tie up situation after a loose ball...Go with possession arrow, Team A ball!!!!

Hand A1 ball for throw in, A1 then reaches ball over plane in bounds and is Tied up by B1 before the ball is thrown in!

Jump ball again!!! Who's ball????? does the possession arrow switch, or stay with Team A because it never came in???

Because of the rules of when to switch possession arrow, i gave the ball back to Team A... i believe i was correct, just wanting to make sure...

You were correct. The original AP throw-in had not ended when the held ball occured so Team A retains the arrow and will receive a new AP throw-in.

MTD, Sr.

Redhouse Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:04pm

I thought that the throw in by A-1 ended with the violation, so team B would have the next throw in under the APP. When B is awarded the ball for throw in the arrow would be switched to A for the next APP. Just remember if you do screw it up and either of the coaches complain just tell them tht you will give them the next 2 out of 3 held balls.

jritchie Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:13pm

the first possession arrow, never ended..we didn't have a violation to end it!!! we just had another jump ball.. the ball never came in so TEAM A kept the ARROW

Redhouse Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:22pm

that makes sense. just to make sure i understand another situation. If team A would have violated by stepping on the line or 5 seconds, whatever. that would have ended their throw in and B would get the ball. on the next held ball that would go to A, is that correct??

Lotto Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Redhouse
that makes sense. just to make sure i understand another situation. If team A would have violated by stepping on the line or 5 seconds, whatever. that would have ended their throw in and B would get the ball. on the next held ball that would go to A, is that correct??
A has the ball on an AP throw-in. On a throw-in violation (like the two you list), the AP throw-in ends and the arrow is switched, now pointing in B's direction. B gets a throw-in for the violation, but the next AP throw-in will belong to B, not A.

Jurassic Referee Mon Nov 08, 2004 01:04pm

Quote:

that makes sense. just to make sure i understand another situation. If team A would have violated by stepping <font color = red>on</font> the line or 5 seconds, whatever. that would have ended their throw in and B would get the ball. on the next held ball that would go to A, is that correct??
Just to clarify, if you're talking about the A player throwing the ball in stepping "on" the line during the throw-in, then that isn't a violation. The line is OOB. If the player throwing the ball in steps in-bounds, then there is a violation. If you're talking about any of the in-bounds A players stepping on a line while receiving the throw-in pass, then you also do have a violation in that instance.

Redhouse Mon Nov 08, 2004 01:10pm

thanks JR for the clarification. i wanted to make sure i understood correctly, and you helped me with that.

Nevadaref Tue Nov 09, 2004 02:03am

Quote:

Originally posted by jritchie

You got it right. Your exact play is given in the Case Book. 6.4.5 SitB is entitled "Held Ball on throw-in -- No arrow change". That tells you your answer without even reading the ruling.

Nevadaref Tue Nov 09, 2004 02:04am

Quote:

See LOSS OF ARROW 6.4.5 Sit A in the Case Book.

xxssmen Tue Nov 09, 2004 03:57am

possession procedure

So what if team A1 has the AP, while inbounding and before the ball is released team B fouls A2 and its, A)bonus for team A or B)no bonus, ball is now ready for inbound nearest the foul. So now who has the AP after the foul if the ball has not been inbounded yet?

Nevadaref Tue Nov 09, 2004 04:43am

Re: possession procedure

Quote:

Originally posted by xxssmen
So what if team A1 has the AP, while inbounding and before the ball is released team B fouls A2 and its, A)bonus for team A or B)no bonus, ball is now ready for inbound nearest the foul. So now who has the AP after the foul if the ball has not been inbounded yet?
6.4.5 Situation A Comment:
If a foul by either team occurs before an alternating-possession throw-in ends, the foul is penalized as required and play continues as it normally would, but the possession arrow is not reversed. The same team will still have the arrow for the next alternating-possession throw-in. The arrow is reversed when an alternating-possession throw-in ends.