The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Occupied Space (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16295-occupied-space.html)

Rick Durkee Thu Nov 04, 2004 08:20pm

Jump Ball Administration rule 6-3-5, when read with part "b", states:

"Until the tossed ball is touched by one or both jumpers, nonjumpers shall not take a position in any occupied space."

Relative to this rule, what is the meaning of "occupied space"?

Rick

brandan89 Thu Nov 04, 2004 09:12pm

The circle.

ChuckElias Thu Nov 04, 2004 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Each non-jumper is entitled to stand within 3 feet of the circle. That 3-foot piece of real estate is considered that player's space.

So relative to the rule you reference, it's saying that until the ball is tapped, nobody can move in front of or immediately behind another player who is standing within 3 feet of the circle.

Rick Durkee Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:53pm

Thank you.

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 05, 2004 01:46am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by Rick Durkee
Each non-jumper is entitled to stand within 3 feet of the circle. That 3-foot piece of real estate is considered that player's space.

So relative to the rule you reference, it's saying that until the ball is tapped, nobody can move in front of or immediately behind another player who is standing within 3 feet of the circle.

Three feet deep,eh? As in NFHS rule 1-3-1? How wide are these spaces, Chuck?

ChuckElias Fri Nov 05, 2004 06:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Three feet deep,eh? As in NFHS rule 1-3-1? How wide are these spaces, Chuck?

Yeah, 1-3-1, although I didn't have the rulebook in front of me at the time. Is that not correct? It says 36 inches deep, so I think I got it right.

The book doesn't say how wide the space is, so I'm guessing that it's either: (a) shoulder-width of the player standing in it, or (b) just wide enough so that 8 people can fit around the circle.

Dudly Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:17pm

So if a player moves into an occupied space, what would the call be? Re-jump? If so, why? Award the ball to the team who didn't commit the violation? If so, arrow would go the other way....right?

bob jenkins Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dudly
So if a player moves into an occupied space, what would the call be? Re-jump? If so, why? Award the ball to the team who didn't commit the violation? If so, arrow would go the other way....right?
6-3 gives the requirements

9-3 gives the penalty for violating the requirements --it's a violation, so, just like any violation before control is established, one team gets the ball, the other team gets the arrow.