The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

I am not that old, 24. I know when I played ball in HS, I had to raise my hand when I fouled someone, I guess to benefit the coach and book keeper. When did this tradition go away?
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Really?

Rookie -- I'm 22 and I've never had to do that?! I played ball ever since, and not once was I ever taught to raise my arm if I committed a foul. I played ball in Pennsylvania, so maybe your neck of the woods just hadn't gotten around to eliminating that rule? Sounds kinda silly, though.......
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

When I played HS ball (86 grad) we would have an occasional group of officals ask us to raise our hand when called for a foul as it made their job easier and helped move the game along.

It was rare to run across officials that would request this. Maybe it was a regional thing?
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Years ago this was a requirement. In fact, it was a technical foul if you didn't raise your hand. Finally, someone decided that it was demeaning to have a player raise his hand after a foul and the rule was changed. I don't remember when it was changed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I saw a player last night in the Cincy/UNNC game do it, so I know I am not crazy.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Hey Rookie - Be careful, coaches and players can be pretty slick sometimes. It's not out of the questions that the "7th man sub" will raise his hand after your whistle, when it was really "the big man" who is about to get into foul trouble who committed the foul. Then again, if you have a choice on the foul, keep the "big men" in the game. Just make sure the "7th man" was involved in the play!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I am not going to make this part of any game I officiate, I was just trying to stir up some conversation. It obviously went to the way side for a reason.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 11:31am
certified Hot Mom tester

Yes - it is true that there once was a rule that a player had to raise his hand to admit he committed the foul. I have heard two school of thought on why this ever was a rule. One was that it made the player come to the realization that he really did commit the foul and accept that fact. The other was that it helped the official identify who committed the foul. I'm not sure either is correct.

Anyway, that rule was dropped right after we switched away from peach baskets - in other words, when I was in high school
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Showing my age as well....

I never saw a "T" given for not raising the hand, but it was a requirement (and a "given") during my HS days....

Not sure why the requiremnt was dropped. I guess because of the the "7th" man syndrome. However, I would put the onous on the officials to communicate with each other and get it right to ensure they had the correct player. Just as we do now....
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Raising hand on fouls

I played ball in Ohio and graduated in '72 and the rule was in affect at that time.
I was unfortunate to have a "T" called on me for not raising my hand.
The cicumstances were this:
Both myself and our "big man" tried to defend on a player in the paint. The official called a foul and I thought he called it on our "big man" but low and behold he called it on me. I didn't raise my hand and bang I got the "T". Maybe cicumstances such as this led to the demise of the rule.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
When I play, if the official is bird dogging then I am raising my hand. Just a habit. I have not seen a T in my lifetime(36 y.o.) for not raising a hand.