The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Just a couple of questions about some fouls and their administation in a game I recently watched. I don't officiate basketball, but they just seemed a little strange to me.

Situation one: Posseion arrow is with team B. Player from Team A goes up for lay up and is fouled hard by team B player, intentional foul is called immediately. After the foul, two players get in each others face, have to be seperated. During this action, Team A coach gets a technical foul called for something, I don't know. After all said and done, Team A shoots the free throws for the intentional foul, team B then shoots the free throws for the Team A coach technical, and then team A gets the ball back for an inbound under their own basket.

Situation two: Possession arrow to team B. Team B puts up a three point shot, as the ball in in flight, a double foul is called on A and B post players under the basket, ball goes in. Refs counted the basket then awarded the ball to team A.

Question is did the ball go to the correct team after the fouls? Situation one I thought the T on Coach A should have some effect on posession. Situation two, I guess A would get the ball since B was still in posession at the time of the fouls. At the time I was thinking double foul go to the arrow.

Just want to get my rules knowledge straight here. Thanks.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
Just a couple of questions about some fouls and their administation in a game I recently watched. I don't officiate basketball, but they just seemed a little strange to me.

Situation one: Posseion arrow is with team B. Player from Team A goes up for lay up and is fouled hard by team B player, intentional foul is called immediately. After the foul, two players get in each others face, have to be seperated. During this action, Team A coach gets a technical foul called for something, I don't know. After all said and done, Team A shoots the free throws for the intentional foul, team B then shoots the free throws for the Team A coach technical, and then team A gets the ball back for an inbound under their own basket.

Situation two: Possession arrow to team B. Team B puts up a three point shot, as the ball in in flight, a double foul is called on A and B post players under the basket, ball goes in. Refs counted the basket then awarded the ball to team A.

Question is did the ball go to the correct team after the fouls? Situation one I thought the T on Coach A should have some effect on posession. Situation two, I guess A would get the ball since B was still in posession at the time of the fouls. At the time I was thinking double foul go to the arrow.

Just want to get my rules knowledge straight here. Thanks.
Sitch 1: If I read it correctly team B should have shot their 2 FTs for coach A's T, then A1 gets his 2 shots for the intentional and Team A gets the ball at the spot of the foul. All FTs attempted with the FT lane vacant.

Sitch 2 - double foul, no team control, go to the arrow.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Sitch 1: If I read it correctly team B should have shot their 2 FTs for coach A's T, then A1 gets his 2 shots for the intentional and Team A gets the ball at the spot of the foul. All FTs attempted with the FT lane vacant.

Sitch 2 - double foul, no team control, go to the arrow. [/B]
I thought there was no team control during a shot, but that was the only thing I could think of for them not going to the arrow in that situation

In one they just administered the free throws in the wrong order then. Alright, thanks.