The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Question

This was a 7th grade girl’s basketball game. The ball was thrown in bounds under the basket in the back court (no defenders nearby). The player after taking a few dribbles somehow lost the ball and it started to rollout of bounds. Before the ball was out of bounds her coach called time out and my partner granted the time out. The opposing coach complained saying that she has to have possession before a time out can be granted. What is the ruling on this and where would I find it in the rules book?

Thanks
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 12:21pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rocky50
This was a 7th grade girl’s basketball game. The ball was thrown in bounds under the basket in the back court (no defenders nearby). The player after taking a few dribbles somehow lost the ball and it started to rollout of bounds. Before the ball was out of bounds her coach called time out and my partner granted the time out. The opposing coach complained saying that she has to have possession before a time out can be granted. What is the ruling on this and where would I find it in the rules book?

Thanks

A1 must have player control of the ball at the time that Coach A requests a timeout.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:

Thanks
5-8- article 3 NF

improper time out given by the official- an interrupted dribble does not have player control.

As for what you do once the time out is granted- talk it over with your partner. Grant the time out go with the arrow
Stew
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Grant the time out. Tell opposing coach you made a mistake. At the end of the time out give it back to the team that called the time out and play on.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Grant the time out. Tell opposing coach you made a mistake. At the end of the time out give it back to the team that called the time out and play on.
I have a better plan:

Don't grant the timeout. After the ball rolls OOB ask the requesting coach if he still wants the time out. Give the ball to the other team regardless of his answer.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 01:17pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Thanks

A1 must have player control of the ball at the time that Coach A requests a timeout.

MTD, Sr.
Hmmm...using your statement above,if A1 had passed the ball to A3 and the coach requested the time-out while the pass was in the air, you aren't going to grant it?
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

That is correct
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
I have a better plan:

Don't grant the timeout. After the ball rolls OOB ask the requesting coach if he still wants the time out. Give the ball to the other team regardless of his answer.
If you blew the whistle because he called the time out I think you are obligated to grant it. Your only other "out" is an "inadvertent whistle" but I still think you would have to give it back to the team that originally had the ball. There's "more justice" in what you're proposing above but I don't, in my opinion think, it's correct.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Hmmm...using your statement above,if A1 had passed the ball to A3 and the coach requested the time-out while the pass was in the air, you aren't going to grant it?
I'm not either. Are you, rocky?
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
As for what you do once the time out is granted- talk it over with your partner. Grant the time out go with the arrow
Why would you go to the arrow?

While the TO should not have been granted because there was no PC, there was team control. This is Team A's ball.

rocky50, player control at the time of the reqest is required. Your partner should not have granted the TO. But once he blew the whistle, it's too late.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 03:32pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not either. Are you, rocky?
Nope...but you know there's lots of us out there who would, and do, and shouldn't...just checking!
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
Why would you go to the arrow?

While the TO should not have been granted because there was no PC, there was team control. This is Team A's ball.

rocky50, player control at the time of the reqest is required. Your partner should not have granted the TO. But once he blew the whistle, it's too late.
as I think about it- since the time out was granted- there was team control.......... partner must have seen the coach yell for a time out before the interrupted dribble...... I or he simply make an error... ok team A keeps the ball.
Stew
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
I have a better plan:

If you blew the whistle because he called the time out I think you are obligated to grant it. Your only other "out" is an "inadvertent whistle" but I still think you would have to give it back to the team that originally had the ball. There's "more justice" in what you're proposing above but I don't, in my opinion think, it's correct.
I was just trying to say don't screw it up to begin with and you won't have any problem.

But if you screw it up the team in control gets the ball after the inadvertent whistle. And the timeout in this case.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 10:00pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

MTD, Sr.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I would not grant Coach A's request for a timeout.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

sorry coach, you gotta have the ball to get a time out. he probably knew that and was just testing you. if you ain't cheatin, you aint trying.