The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

I am in the process of last-minute studying for the IAABO test. Fun, fun fun! I have hit the books pretty well over the last month or so and I smoke through the ARS rules CD that contains the NFHS questions.

Once I get to the IAABO test questions though, they are much more cryptic, hard to understand, and oblique.

Any advice on taking this test would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the IAABO test is the test all officials should be required to take.

It tests your ability to apply the rules to a game setting. Anyone can memorize a rulebook, but how many people can apply the rules to a game.

My advice, read the casebook. Because that's basically what the test is, a bunch of caseplays that you have to answer as correct or incorrect.

Hope this helps.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I believe the IAABO test is the test all officials should be required to take.

It tests your ability to apply the rules to a game setting. Anyone can memorize a rulebook, but how many people can apply the rules to a game.

My advice, read the casebook. Because that's basically what the test is, a bunch of caseplays that you have to answer as correct or incorrect.

Hope this helps.
I agree more useful than the NF test. casebook is very useful as well as old tests. The questions get recycled or rewritten to cover the same scenario.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Some pointers

Since I have taken a few of these, I can comment on what to expect. BTW, our board is testing tonight.

First, know your rule changes. IAABO always asks questions based upon the new rule changes. So there are 5 or so gimmies.

Secondly, if you look for some key wording, the test can become easier to decipher. For instance, if the word torso appears in the question at any time and involves contact, you are pretty safe in assuming "legal guarding position" has been, or was established.

Thirdly, know your correctable error situations.

Fourthly, know your player control foul situations especially those involving the airborne shooter.

Fiftly, study the basket interference vs goal tending plays. The question might be right, but they may be calling it basket interference instead of goal tending.

As others have said, study the case book, especially the sections on correctable errors.

Ohh, know your situations with violations while attempting foul shots too.

Now, did I leave anything out? In other words, STUDY that casebook. I think you will be surprised at the number of questions that are taken from the casebook. Not word for word, but situation for situation.

And good luck!

goose

Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
When I first passed the IAABO test, I did two things at the last minute. I was told the test was coming up 24 hrs before I took it. I read chapter 4 of the rule book and looked over the last test I failed. I got an 86 doing that.

It helps to have a good study group led by a veteran official to explain the various rules and interpretations.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Aided with the help and advice from board memebers I PASSED the IAABO test! I got an 86 - barely good enough to pass. But you know what they call the guy who graduates last in his medical class? - DOCTOR!
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

If you know the definitions backwards and forwards, the majority of the other rules fall into place.......
once these can be recited, everything makes sense.

I agree that the IAABO test should be required....Maybe not for a grade, but to ensure that officils open their rule books!!!!!