The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

I know this year's Fed Rule book is not on-line but does anyone have a url for last year's rule book on-line?

Thanks for any help!
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 06:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

One of us putting last year's rule book on line would be just as much of a copyright infringement as putting this year's book on line.

The NF does not put their books on line - period. If they did, they would hardly sell any.

Why don't you ask someone who already bought one to photocopy it for you? Oh wait - that would probably cost more than buying a new one.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,

I have a copy of the book. I thought I saw it on line as a pdf. I was going to use it as a reference for some Middle School Coaches when I give a talk to them on the 22nd. For some reason, they refuse to buy the rulebook but continue to think they know the rules.

I would pay the 7 or 8 bucks for the book before I'd waste my time photocopying it.

And as you can see from the nfhs website they do offer some rule books online for members:

Member Only Content

Print this Page
NFHS Members only Content Area

This area is available to all members of the NFHS professional associations and state association staff.

At this time, the following books are available online:

Fall Sports Winter Sports Spring Sports
Field Hockey Case Book Ice Hockey Case Book
Football Case & Rules Book Wrestling Case Book
Soccer Case Book Basketball Case Book
Volleyball Case Book

All remaining case books are being developed for online availability. Members can browse and search the online version of the case books and rules books as they are made available. A timeline for the remaining sports is available on the “FAQ” page.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

How does that foot taste Mark?????
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 07:23pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan

I am going to come to Mark's defense. The list of books that ReadyToRef listed in his post have been put online by the NFHS within the last thirty days. These books are the first time that the NFHS has ever put rules and casebooks online. The NCAA as only started to put its rules books online within the last two or three years.

To be honest, I am suprised that the NFHS and NCAA would put its books online because the idea is to sell them to make money.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 07:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

I am going to come to Mark's defense. The list of books that ReadyToRef listed in his post have been put online by the NFHS within the last thirty days. These books are the first time that the NFHS has ever put rules and casebooks online. The NCAA as only started to put its rules books online within the last two or three years.

To be honest, I am suprised that the NFHS and NCAA would put its books online because the idea is to sell them to make money.

MTD, Sr.
Mark, I believe if you check a little closer into this that you will find out that you have to be a paid subscribed member of the NFHS to surf their on-line case book. The membership fee is $30/official, unless you already have that benefit of being a member through your state association. Also, you are NOT allowed to print the on-line casebook- just surf it. Compare that to buying the books at about $6.50 each, and I don't see too much benefit of going that route.

As Mark P. said, you ain't gonna get any books for free from the NFHS.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 31st, 2004 at 08:04 PM]
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Try this site.

http://www.mtboa.org/rules
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.
OK. I am going to come to ReadyToRef's defense. By his answer, Mark P implied Ready would be (1) breaking the law and (2)too cheap to buy the book himself. But then again I shouldn't criticize as My foot has been more in than out during my illustrious life!
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 09:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.
OK. I am going to come to ReadyToRef's defense. By his answer, Mark P implied Ready would be (1) breaking the law and (2)too cheap to buy the book himself. But then again I shouldn't criticize as My foot has been more in than out during my illustrious life!

First, I am a Charter Member of both NASO and NFOA (WHOPPEE!!! That means I have been members of both for about 25 years.) I joined NFOA long before the OhioHSAA became a 100% member of NFOA. So, yes I can access the documents in question on the NFHS website. But the online rules books on the NCAA website can be accessed by anybody at anytime.

What Mark was saying was that to make unauthorized copies of an organization proprietary information and then distributing it without the organiztion's permission is illegal.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Mark, I have worked in the Information Security field for over 30 years, so I am well aware of the laws on copyright infringement. In fact, I have written policies for major corporations. I do believe that Ready is certainly aware of these laws and doesn't need to be told by others in the forum.

First, I am a Charter Member of both NASO and NFOA (WHOPPEE!!! That means I have been members of both for about 25 years.) I joined NFOA long before the OhioHSAA became a 100% member of NFOA. So, yes I can access the documents in question on the NFHS website. But the online rules books on the NCAA website can be accessed by anybody at anytime.

What Mark was saying was that to make unauthorized copies of an organization proprietary information and then distributing it without the organiztion's permission is illegal.

MTD, Sr.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.

MTD, Sr.
Mark, I have worked in the Information Security field for over 30 years, so I am well aware of the laws on copyright infringement. In fact, I have written policies for major corporations. I do believe that Ready is certainly aware of these laws and doesn't need to be told by others in the forum.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Good grief, guys! What a pissing contest this has turned into.

Bottom line:

Only the NFHS is allowed to post their publications online. This is the first year that they have posted them.

The association in Tennessee is in violation of copyright infringement. I'm sure Ronnie Carter will be getting a call at TSSAA headquarters as soon as the NFHS discovers it, unless the unlikely possibility exists that they have permission to publish them. And I'd be willing to bet a game fee that they don't.

ReadyRef, if you have the ARS CD, then you already have a computerized copy of the rule, case, and funny book. If not, you have plenty of time to order and receive it before the 22nd.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Oct 31st, 2004 at 09:41 PM]
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 09:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Try this site.

http://www.mtboa.org/rules
Those posted rules are not complete or up-to-date.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Good grief, guys! What a pissing contest this has turned into.

Bottom line:

Only the NFHS is allowed to post their publications online. This is the first year that they have posted them.

The association in Tennessee is in violation of copyright infringement. I'm sure Ronnie Carter will be getting a call at TSSAA headquarters as soon as the NFHS discovers it, unless the unlikely possibility exists that they have permission to publish them. And I'd be willing to bet a game fee that they don't.

ReadyRef, if you have the ARS CD, then you already have a computerized copy of the rule, case, and funny book. If not, you have plenty of time to order and receive it before the 22nd.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Oct 31st, 2004 at 09:41 PM]
Ref, check out the site. This is the heading at the top of the document:

Reprinted with permission of the National Federation of State High School Associations. This material is not to be resold or remarketed.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Jay R.

I think some of you misunderstood my original question. Someone already has last year's book on the Internet as a pdf file. I saw this sometime last week but didn't bookmark the url. I am not the copyright infringer. Somebody else did that and they may or may not have had NFHS' approval. I don't really care. Personally, I'm not going to put the rule book on the Internet nor am I going to photocopy the book. But, if I could find the site, I would gladly share it with others so they can use it if they so choose.