The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

College scrimmage between Division II schools. Game goes into overtime. As the players walk out onto the floor for the extra period, B1 player walks up to me and asks "do you get paid extra for this?"

At first I thought he was just joking around, but then realized he was being a jerk by his reaction and demeanor and he was smarting off.

I ignored him and walked to my U1 position. Question: First scrimmage of the year for both teams, but if this was further into the season and I call the tech, does A team shoot the tech and if a basket goes the game is over, or do we still play the extra period? Any difference between college and FED?
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djskinn
College scrimmage between Division II schools. Game goes into overtime. As the players walk out onto the floor for the extra period, B1 player walks up to me and asks "do you get paid extra for this?"

At first I thought he was just joking around, but then realized he was being a jerk by his reaction and demeanor and he was smarting off.

I ignored him and walked to my U1 position. Question: First scrimmage of the year for both teams, but if this was further into the season and I call the tech, does A team shoot the tech and if a basket goes the game is over, or do we still play the extra period? Any difference between college and FED?
OT is still played. In NCAA, shoot the throws, tehn start with the jumpball. In FED, shoot the throws and give the ball to the non-offendig team for a throw-in.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

The only comment that probably should be added to Bob's reply above is that the fourth quarter (HS) or 2nd half (college) has ended. Any infractions/penalties/points that occur after the end of regulation can only be assessed in the overtime period. You cannot have a infraction/violation occur in one period and then assess the penalty in another period.

Now if the foul/tech. occurs slightly before or simultaneously to the period ending horn, then you've got an entirely different situation.........
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

IMO, the only comment which SHOULD be added to Bob's reply above is an explanation of why you do it the way he says.
The reason is that in NFHS rules a technical foul carrys possession of the ball to the opponents as part of the penalty, while under NCAA rules play continues from the point of interruption in the vast majority of cases.