The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 07:25pm
9 times

NCAA Men's rules.

Play 1: During an offensive set, B4 pulls on A4's shorts hard enough to drop them off of his waist. Neither player is actively involved in the offensive set.

Play 2: A1 is shooting the second of 2 FT with 0.8 on the clock in the second half. B3 notifies you that if the shot is missed, his team will request a TO as soon as the ball is secured. Shot is missed B4 secures rebound and is yelling for a TO as soon as the shot is released. How much time should elapse on the clock?

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
NCAA Men's rules.

Play 1: During an offensive set, B4 pulls on A4's shorts hard enough to drop them off of his waist. Neither player is actively involved in the offensive set.
At least a direct unsporting T. Maybe flagrant.

Quote:
Play 2: A1 is shooting the second of 2 FT with 0.8 on the clock in the second half. B3 notifies you that if the shot is missed, his team will request a TO as soon as the ball is secured. Shot is missed B4 secures rebound and is yelling for a TO as soon as the shot is released. How much time should elapse on the clock?
I don't think any time need elapse.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Play 1 - I'd call a holding foul.

Play 2 - Depends on how good the timer is. Probably should have at least .6 left on the clock.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

While it's not an NFHS/NCAA rule, the NBA did a study showing that at least 0.3 seconds should elapse between a rebound and a granted timeout. (This same study is what produced the 3/10th's rule for an inbounds pass followed by a tap/try.) Just remember - the timeout can only be requested after posession is attained, not before the shot.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 04:12pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
While it's not an NFHS/NCAA rule, the NBA did a study showing that at least 0.3 seconds should elapse between a rebound and a granted timeout. (This same study is what produced the 3/10th's rule for an inbounds pass followed by a tap/try.) Just remember - the timeout can only be requested after posession is attained, not before the shot.
Good point. Player in question is yelling TO! TO!! TO!! as he secures the rebound in this case.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
You know how guys wear their shorts loose? Well, I had a game with a guy like this. He went up for a lay-up and the defender, without jumping, took a swipe at the ball. He missed the ball and lightly snagged the shooter's shorts. Because they weren't tied, the kid's shorts came down to his knees. The defender didn't hold or pull the shorts, and definitely didn't do it on purpose.

I no-called it.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say "Son, I think you'd better tie those shorts. The next time the whole kit and kaboodle might come off, and that's not good for any of us."
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.