The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Plyer Out-Of-Bounds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16181-plyer-out-bounds.html)

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 29, 2004 08:41am

A1 while holding the ball in-bounds touches a coach or an official who is out-of-bounds. Legal or not?

Nevadaref Fri Oct 29, 2004 08:45am

JR, are you asking this for the newbies or are you serious?
7-1-1

Hey, this was my 1500th post!

[Edited by Nevadaref on Oct 29th, 2004 at 09:53 AM]

jritchie Fri Oct 29, 2004 08:53am

TOUCHES THEM WITH WHAT???

ball, foot, hand??????? :)

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 29, 2004 08:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
JR, are you asking this for the newbies or are you serious?
7-1-1

[Edited by Nevadaref on Oct 29th, 2004 at 09:48 AM]

Completely serious. And as I can see from your answer, it's obviously not just for newbies. :D

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 29, 2004 08:55am

Re: TOUCHES THEM WITH WHAT???

Quote:

Originally posted by jritchie
ball, foot, hand??????? :)
Anything but the ball-the ball is a separate situation.

jritchie Fri Oct 29, 2004 09:03am

7-1-1 out of bounds when touches floor, or any object (BESIDES A PLAYER) So i would say you got nothing if he/she is touching player or coach that is oob....

now if the ball is touching anything out of bounds it's out of bounds...

Nevadaref Fri Oct 29, 2004 09:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by jritchie
7-1-1 out of bounds when touches floor, or any object (BESIDES A PLAYER) So i would say you got nothing if he/she is touching player or coach that is oob....

now if the ball is touching anything out of bounds it's out of bounds...

The reason that I cited 7-1-1 is that the coach or official qualifies as an object. If the player touches them while they are standing OOB, the player has committed an OOB violation.

JR, I still think this is simple. What am I missing?

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 29, 2004 09:17am

Quote:

[/B]
The reason that I cited 7-1-1 is that the coach or official qualifies as an object. If the player touches them while they are standing OOB, the player has committed an OOB violation.

JR, I still think this is simple. What am I missing? [/B][/QUOTE]The correct answer maybe? :D

Nevadaref Fri Oct 29, 2004 09:22am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

JR, I still think this is simple. What am I missing? [/B]
The correct answer maybe? :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Well then I await your wisdom, o'venerable one. :)

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 29, 2004 09:35am

Quote:

[/B]
Well then I await your wisdom, o'venerable one. :) [/B][/QUOTE]Naw, not yet. Other people might post yet and agree with jritchie. And who says whether my answer, if it's different than your's, is right or not? :D

zebraman Fri Oct 29, 2004 09:39am

I'll agree with Nevadaref.

Z

Nevadaref Fri Oct 29, 2004 09:40am

Does it have something to do with if the coach or official is a female, and women are not objects? :eek:

bob jenkins Fri Oct 29, 2004 09:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman

Z

I would have to (and did, on another forum) until JR pointed out that 7.1.1A has been changed this year.

[Edited by bob jenkins on Oct 29th, 2004 at 10:46 AM]

Jurassic Referee Fri Oct 29, 2004 09:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

I would have to (and did, on another forum) until JR pointed out that 7.1.1A has been changed this year.

An un-freaking-announced change! No notice-no reference posted anywhere that I know of. Just throw it in the case book and see if anybody might happen to notice it. Lah me.

NEW case book play 7.1.1SitA says "People are NOT considered to be objects and play continues. Inadvertantly touching someone who is out-of-bounds, without gaining an advantage, is NOT considered a violation".

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 29th, 2004 at 10:55 AM]

Nevadaref Fri Oct 29, 2004 09:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Z

[Edited by bob jenkins on Oct 29th, 2004 at 10:46 AM]

Well, since I haven't opened my new Case Book yet, I'll have to go do that.
Oh boy, can't say I like that ruling. This must have been written by a woman. "People are not considered to be objects and play continues."
Now I have to judge whether the player's touching was inadvertent and if he gained an advantage. Why did they change this?
So A1 can shove Team B's coach away from him because he is yelling in his ear and not be considered to be OOB? That should go over well. Let me go back to the fighting thread and review those bench clearing penalties again.

I did find it curious though that 7-1-2b specified "Any other person" and 7-1-1 only said object.