The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

I believe the ruling on this is wrong.

While A1's three-point field-goal attempt is in flight, A3 fouls B1 (B is not in the bonus) near the bottom block area. The three-point field-goal attempt is successful.

Ruling: Score the three-point goal for A1. Team B will be permitted to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. (5-7-7 Exc (2)).

Ok, now that I've typed this maybe I see where I was mistaken. Do we count the goal because it was not a player control foul? The ball was in flight and the foul was not on an airbourne shooter. The foul was off ball by a member of team A. My original thought was that the ball was dead immediately on the offensive foul so wave off the basket.

There is definitely one mistake with the ruling. There is no 5-7-7 Exc (2). There's not even a 5-7-7. Does anyone know what rule/exception they are refering to?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Randall

Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 06:49am
In Memoriam

You answered your own question. Ball remains alive until the try ends.

The correct rules reference should be NFHS 6-7-7EXCEPTION1.

What exam was this?
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Not on an exam

This was right out of the case book. I've not taken the exam yet. But to clarify your response. The ruling is correct. The basket counts because the ball was in flight and the foul was not a player control foul. Now, if A1 was in the act of shooting (continous motion) and the ball was not clearly in flight yet, if A3 fouls the ball is dead immediately. No basket is scored if the attempt was successful. Wave it off.

Correct?

Thanks!
Randall
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 07:39am
In Memoriam

Re: Not on an exam

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
This was right out of the case book. I've not taken the exam yet. But to clarify your response. The ruling is correct. The basket counts because the ball was in flight and the foul was not a player control foul. Now, if A1 was in the act of shooting (continous motion) and the ball was not clearly in flight yet, if A3 fouls the ball is dead immediately. No basket is scored if the attempt was successful. Wave it off.

Correct?

Thanks!
Randall
Correct. Casebook play 7.5.7SitE looks like it has a typo in the reference. Good catch.