The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Three points or two?

A1 makes a throw in from the division line. The throw is high and A2 jumps from the top of the key (behind the 3 pt. line) in an attempt to catch the ball. The throw touches A2's hand and deflects into A's basket. Two points or three?

I believe it is two, but I am just trying to get other opinions. There is a case in the case book, but in that case the pass is touched at the free throw line.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Re: Three points or two?

Quote:
Originally posted by Illini_Ref
A1 makes a throw in from the division line. The throw is high and A2 jumps from the top of the key (behind the 3 pt. line) in an attempt to catch the ball. The throw touches A2's hand and deflects into A's basket. Two points or three?

I believe it is two, but I am just trying to get other opinions. There is a case in the case book, but in that case the pass is touched at the free throw line.
If the touching was outside the three-point line, score three points.

Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I would award 3 points. The tip by A2 redirected the ball into the basket and should be considered a "tap". 4-40-6 indicates a tap should be considered a "try". 4-40-5 defines a tap as redirecting the ball toward the basket with the hand(s). As A2 was behind the arc, I would award 3 points.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

It's a three.

The player's status where he last touched the floor. The player effectively tapped the ball from behind the 3 point arc.

This happed 2-3 years ago in an NCAA tourney game (Kentucky vs someone). Long shot put up near end of first half...long rebound. Saul Smith running, from outside, leaps from behind 3-point arc and, while in the air several feet inside the arc, catches the rebound and immediately shoots it before landing. The buzzer sounds as ball is in mid-air and the refs count it.

TV indicates 2 points. Cut to commercial and the studio for halftime.

After a while, the annoucners come back on to say that the refs go together and and decided it was a 3. (Not sure when they got together...in locker room or before leaving the floor).
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Saul Smith made a shot in his collegiate career?
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the player's court status, but my question is this. Does it matter that the thrower was OOB and that the "tap" was more of a muff than a tap?

The rule books says a goal is a live ball pasisng through from above which this is. However, the next section entitled "scoring" (NFHS) says that a try, tap, or thrown ball FROM THE FIELD, is a three if behind the line. What confuses me is the words "fromt he field". Does that mean in bounds? "Field" is never defined.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Illini_Ref
I agree with the player's court status, but my question is this. Does it matter that the thrower was OOB and that the "tap" was more of a muff than a tap?

The rule books says a goal is a live ball pasisng through from above which this is. However, the next section entitled "scoring" (NFHS) says that a try, tap, or thrown ball FROM THE FIELD, is a three if behind the line. What confuses me is the words "fromt he field". Does that mean in bounds? "Field" is never defined.
Interesting observation. Just one more, possibly pointless question, does it make any difference whether you have team possesion in defining if it's a try. 'Cause even a 3 pointer is only 2 when scored at the opponents basket 'cause it ain't a try.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting point, Illini_Ref.

With your additional points...muff/defleciton rather than a tap...I'd change my answer to a two.

The rule to count a goal as 3 points when it is thrown from behind the 3-point arc doesn't apply since the ball wasn't thrown from there. It was thrown from OOB which is neither inside or outside the arc.. Further, even it it were, the rule also exludes counting it for three if it so much as touches a teammate.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Further, even it it were, the rule also exludes counting it for three if it so much as touches a teammate.
I don't understand this. Please explain.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 04:50pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

3, plus maybe the 2 for the T earned by the other coach.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Further, even it it were, the rule also exludes counting it for three if it so much as touches a teammate.
Rule 5...
SECTION 2 SCORING
ART. 1 . . . A successful try, tap or thrown ball that does not touch the floor, a teammate or official, from the field by a player who is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch line count three points. Any other goal from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown. See 4-5-5.

Three basic cases:
A1 throws the ball from behind the arc. No one else touches it. It goes in (try or not). 3 points.

A1 throws the ball from behind the arc. B1 tips the ball. It goes in (try or not). 3 points.

A1 throws the ball from behind the arc. A2 tips the ball. It goes in (try or not). 2 points.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Rule 5...
SECTION 2 SCORING
ART. 1 . . . A successful try, tap or thrown ball that does not touch the floor, a teammate or official, from the field by a player who is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch line count three points. Any other goal from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown. See 4-5-5.

A1 throws the ball from behind the arc. A2 tips the ball. It goes in (try or not). 2 points.
It's two points only in this case if A2 was inside the arc when he legally tipped or touched the ball.If A2 was in the 3 point area when he legally touched the ball, it would be a 3-point basket. Casebook play 5.2.1SitC(c).
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Rule 5...
SECTION 2 SCORING

It's two points only in this case if A2 was inside the arc when he legally tipped or touched the ball.If A2 was in the 3 point area when he legally touched the ball, it would be a 3-point basket. Casebook play 5.2.1SitC(c).
So in the original sitch, the A player who touched the ball last was outside the 3-point line, correct? Is Camron saying it's a 2? And you're saying he's wrong, it's a 3?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 12:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
So in the original sitch, the A player who touched the ball last was outside the 3-point line, correct? Is Camron saying it's a 2? And you're saying he's wrong, it's a 3? [/B][/QUOTE]I'd say that it's a 3, as per Ref in PA.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
This kind of goes back to the question about what if the Guard is behind the 3 point arc, attempts to make an alley opp pass, and it's a "bad pass" that goes into the goal untouched by the intended receiver. Whatcha gonna do now??

2 or 3??

I vote for 3 on both sitchs.
Hmmm, not really. The difference is the touching. Oh, and that the thrower is oob in the first sit. Two very different situations, actually.