The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
I was on the way to a game the other day and was thinking, "Is it possible to get through an entire game with no fouls?" Has anyone heard of a game like this? Just curious.

[Edited by brandan89 on Oct 27th, 2004 at 11:12 PM]
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

I've reffed many games with no fingernail files and none of my files that contain old pictures and bills and so forth. I can't imagine a game with no fouls... I've made it through a whole quarter of a varsity boys game before with only one foul. Both teams were in a zone and neither team had much of an inside threat - it was a 3-point shooting contest.

Z
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

????? files?????
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

I'm guessing you mean FOULS.

If so, I've had some halfs that were close but not 0. Perhaps 1-2 or 2-3 for the half. I've had a team with 0 fouls at the half...the other had 5-6 and had no complaint about it since they were way ahead.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

I had a game once with no fouls or violations called by me until late in the 3rd quarter. One of the smoothest games I've ever worked, ended up calling two fouls for the entire game. My partner didn't have to call much of anything either. Was hoping I would make it through the game without having to call anything, but, alas, it didn't happen.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 03:29am
Official Forum Member

I went an entire half with no foul calls once. At half-time my partner asked if I was enjoying the game and how much I had to pay for such good seats.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I once called my first foul with 52 seconds left in the first half. I keep my files at home.

[Edited by Tim Roden on Oct 24th, 2004 at 10:51 PM]
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

Two seasons ago I called a 2-man system GV game at one of the smallest schools in the state. They lost by about 60 and were down 40-2 at the half. We called only ONE foul in the entire game! That is my record low.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Couple years back in a rec leagues I used to work, two guys decided they were done being refs. Spring girls rec game...they decided they were going to go an entire game calling no fouls or violations....just line calls.

Needless to say, they're done.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
That's pretty amazing, Nevada. I would think there would be more than one foul, just by accident.

Best I ever did was no fouls by either official for the first 6 minutes of the game (Boys HS Var). The game was broadcast on local cable access and the announcer was stunned when he double-checked the team fouls. "And I think. . .wow. . . yes, that's the first foul of the game!"

The only whistles in that first 6 minutes were for a couple OOB. Pretty nice.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

at a camp this summer, the half time score had red blowing white out of the gym. the clinicians talked to us about managing the game and challenged us to not call a foul on white for the entire second half. they did say to not embarase ourselves but to give it a try. we only had 1 murder foul and a train wreck on them for the half.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Thumbs down

The clinicians told you to do that?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

we had kind of a game like that this summer also, and our clinicians told us to work on game management and to just call the obvious and get thru it...it was a 35 point game at halftime, and we went to overtime.....so much for game management...my partner could of called a foul at the end to possibly avoid the overtime, but passed on it because it was such a great come back, he didn't want the game to end...needless to say, he did buy a couple of cold "pops" after that one!!!
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

they absalutely did at a college camp where we had varsity boys. it wasn't a really physical game and i didn't consider it out of line, they just exaggerated the "managing the game" part because they wanted us to have it in our mind. i know i'll never forget it.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

No whistle?

O.K., O.K. just as in real life, I'll probably get flak here for the same thing, but I think I have all of you beat.

Years ago, I did a game and did not blow my whistle for an entire half! I'm not kidding either. I was the umpire and had no calls, period.

My partner even called the lone timeout in the first half and commented to me about the lack of whistles, and I said, "you know, I haven't even blown mine yet!" This was about the 10 minute mark of the first half of a 20 minute period.

It then did become a game of sort to see if it was possible to go an entire half without a whistle.

Truth be told, my partner only blew his whistle 4 times that half! We had one time out and 2 fouls with one OOB! The game was just up and down the court with both teams simply pouring in the points. Like a previous poster said, it was a good game to watch! But alas, I must admit I did earn my money in the second half!

To this day, when I talk to the other official, we always talk about our two all time games, that one and the one where a player hit 16 3's in one HALF! Two games I will not forget.

Hey, Ripley was right...believe it or not.

goose