The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Stupid Arguements (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16069-stupid-arguements.html)

Laker D Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:23pm

After refereeing for so long, you hear some of the funniest arguements that make absolutely no sense.. Any of us that have been ref'ing for any amount of time have heard the 'ol "you can't call that" or "you can't do that".. with a retort of "well, I just did".. but I'd love to hear some of your classics.

One of mine was during a free throw. I had a player standing at the just inside the three point line at the wing. I called a lane violation, and he told me that he was parallel to the third spot on the lane, so he was OK.

Ya almost have to give it to em when they come up with some of the most ridiculous arguements of all-time !

LD

Nevadaref Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:27pm

I like to tell coaches that they're half right, but I'm in the other half. ;)

JugglingReferee Sat Oct 23, 2004 03:30am

I like the one I learned from here... when I used it the coach looked happy, but perhaps a bit confused.

He thought that the arrow should be his. (We correctly awarded it to the other team.) I informed him that he will get the next 2 out of 3 arrows.

rainmaker Sat Oct 23, 2004 01:08pm

The ones that amuse me are based on how the rules were 5, or 10, or even 20 years ago.

Lack of Action!!

Force Out!!

That's up and down!

Larks Mon Oct 25, 2004 08:54am

How about change of status?

I actually worked a kids game 3 years ago and a very tenured official cancelled the time out I recognized because of change of status.

Actually, come to think of it....no one argued?!?

Grail Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:38am

Player: Ref, If you keep calling all those fouls none of us will be left to play.

Ref: If you'd stop committing all the fouls, you wouldn't foul out.

Back In The Saddle Mon Oct 25, 2004 02:58pm

Before the throw-in to start the second half.

Player: I don't know...that's a lot of fouls for just the first half.

Me: I know! If we could get these guys to settle down and play ball, this would go a lot better.

Player: Yeah, you're right. I'll settle 'em down.

Me: *smile*

jlope1 Mon Oct 25, 2004 05:07pm

This happened to me at a 7th grade game
Coach: Foul count is 6 to 1 against me
Me: Thanks for the reminder. I could have missed the bonus.

Dave Dow Tue Oct 26, 2004 06:11am

Quotes

Coaches daughter is running up the court not listening to the coach hollaring at her. He yells as I go by " Betty if I wanted someone out there on the court not listening to me I would have your mother out there instead" I stopped and started to laugh.

Junker Tue Oct 26, 2004 09:34am

Everyone's had someone complaining about the foul count, but a couple of years ago I had a coach complaining that the foul count was "6 to 4.....6 to 4!!!!!" I guess we were supposed to have 6 to 6 or something. I guess he just needed something to be unhappy about.

garote Tue Oct 26, 2004 09:37am

I had a coach ask me once after a travel call. "How did he travel?"

I looked at him and said coach there is only one way to travel. He then went ballistic, after I got him calmed down I said "coach the only way to travel is to pick-up your pivot foot and put it back down." He still didn't believe me.:confused::confused::confused:

Lotto Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by garote
...the only way to travel is to pick-up your pivot foot and put it back down...

Actually, there is another way to travel---pick up the pivot foot and then start a dribble.

Grail Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:00am

Quote:

Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:

Originally posted by garote
...the only way to travel is to pick-up your pivot foot and put it back down...

Actually, there is another way to travel---pick up the pivot foot and then start a dribble.

How 'bout dragging the pivot foot?

rockyroad Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:05pm

Actually had a stupid argument from another official last night - reffing "class" getting the "old dogs" ready for the switch to three-person mechanics...two boys teams scrimmaging, A3 has break-away lay-in which hits the backboard, ball is outside the cylinder and still going up when B5 swats it away...no call from either C or T, and I say "good no-call"...other guy standing there starts to argue it should be BI or goaltending...even after I show him the diagram in the Simplified and Illustrated book, he continues to rant that he will always call it BI in his games and that I don't know anything...so sometimes it's not the coaches that aren't so bright...

tjones1 Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:12pm

7/8th grade game
7th grade game
Coach: TIMEOUT! TIMEOUT! (the ball was live)

Me: Coach, I can't do that you don't have the ball.

Coach: I thought you had one timeout you could use when you didn't have the ball and it was live?

Let's just say I didn't reply cause I didn't know how!!

What would you of said to him?