The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Just got my Officials' Manual. Couple questions.

Last year, we were told that during full TOs, 2-whistle crews would go to the low blocks. This year's manual shows the "old" positioning of one official on the midcourt line and the other official at the inbound spot. Is this a printing error or a real change? Just checking with what others have heard.

Also, I thought that HS switches were changed to match the NCAA switches for 3-whistle. I thought the calling official was supposed to go table-side. But the officials' manual shows the calling official going opposite. Didn't we just have this conversation about going tableside this year? What's the deal?

Insights appreciated.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
not sure bout the 2 man question but for the three man we are suppose to go table side this year. What i heard is that changes were made this year but the mannual was not edited this year er go change not in their, but we are still suppose to stay table side.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Last year, we were told that during full TOs, 2-whistle crews would go to the low blocks. This year's manual shows the "old" positioning of one official on the midcourt line and the other official at the inbound spot. Is this a printing error or a real change? Just checking with what others have heard.

Also, I thought that HS switches were changed to match the NCAA switches for 3-whistle. I thought the calling official was supposed to go table-side. But the officials' manual shows the calling official going opposite. Didn't we just have this conversation about going tableside this year? What's the deal?

Insights appreciated.
There's not a new manual this year. The 2003-2005 manual I have has both on the block for a 60 and top of arch for a 30.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Insights appreciated.
Chuck,
Here's the deal: The Officials' Manual is good for two seasons. The current manual is for 2003-2005. The time-out positions for 2-man were changed last season and is included in the current manual. The version that was printed before last season has this change in gray shadow #273 on page 44.
The tableside switch is a change for this season, so it will appear next year in the new manual good for seasons 2006-2008.
Here are the changes from the NFHS website:
Major NFHS Basketball Officials’ Manual Changes
2003-04 and 2004-05

#5 (2) Time-out and intermission positions have been changed to be similar to those used in three-person. Officials will stand on the nearest block opposite the benches during 60-second time-outs and intermission and at the top of the near arc during 30-second time-outs.

Major Officials Manual Change

(NOTE: The NFHS Officials Manual is not being edited this year; however, the Basketball Rules Committee made the following change, which will be reflected in the 2005-07 edition.)
The foul calling official in a three-person crew will go tableside after calling the foul to enhance communication with coaches and the scorer’s table.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Oct 21st, 2004 at 08:59 AM]
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Chuck,
Here's the deal: The Officials' Manual is good for three seasons. The current manual is for 2003-2005.
That's two seasons: 2003-2004 and 2004-2005.

Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Chuck,
Here's the deal: The Officials' Manual is good for three seasons. The current manual is for 2003-2005.
That's two seasons: 2003-2004 and 2004-2005.

Yes, that makes better sense. The manual is printed every other year. So last year's changes are in it, but this year's have to wait until the new one is printed next year. Now I've got it.

I'll edit my earlier post so as not to confuse anyone.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Oct 21st, 2004 at 08:59 AM]
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BZ
There's not a new manual this year. The 2003-2005 manual I have has both on the block for a 60 and top of arch for a 30.

Here's the deal: The Officials' Manual is good for two seasons.
Yup, I know that guys. But. . .

Quote:
The current manual is for 2003-2005.

Ooooooo, thanks for playing, but no, I'm sorry, that's not correct. My manual says 2004-2005. Last year's says 2003-2005. And in case you think that's just normal in the second year of the two-year cycle, I went back to check the previous two manuals. They both said 2001-2003. This year's manual is updated with "E-court" diagrams and stuff. There have obviously been changes made to the manual just for this season.

Quote:
The time-out positions for 2-man were changed last season and is included in the current manual.

Ooooooo, again, I'm sorry, that's not the answer we were looking for. Last year's manual included the position changes for 60-second TOs (both officials on low blocks) in section #273 and in Diagram 29, just as you mentioned in your post. But in this year's manual, there is a list of timeout procedures on pages 59-60. Paragraph R states that "[p]ositions during a 60-second timeout shall be one official at the throw-in spot and the other official at the division line at the opposite side edge of the center circle farther from tableside."

In fact, I just realized that everything from the beginning of last year's manual to paragraph 300 is completely gone from this year's manual. Totally rewritten. See my confusion?

Quote:
Here are the changes from the NFHS website:
#5 (2) Time-out and intermission positions have been changed to be similar to those used in three-person. Officials will stand on the nearest block opposite the benches during 60-second time-outs and intermission and at the top of the near arc during 30-second time-outs.

The foul calling official in a three-person crew will go tableside after calling the foul to enhance communication with coaches and the scorer’s table.
I'll check the website, but I have no doubt I'll still be confused.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Normally, the Officials' M
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Normally, the Officials' M
Aaaauuuggghhh.....!! It's the Eggplant that ate North Carolina! Run! Run for your lives!!!
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow No new manual

Chuck-

I'm not exactly sure where you're getting a 04-05 manual...I didn't know/certainly have never heard of the NFHS publishing a manual in even-numbered years.

If they are, I'm getting on my state office to get it out, seeing that we're going to 3-man this year!
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 05:48pm
In Memoriam

Re: No new manual

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt S.
Chuck-

I'm not exactly sure where you're getting a 04-05 manual...I didn't know/certainly have never heard of the NFHS publishing a manual in even-numbered years.

Chuck, you're not using the insert in the IAABO Handbook, are you?
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: No new manual

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Chuck-

The NFHS has not changed its mechanics for 2-man TOs positions. IAABO did change their mechanics for TO positions for 30 sec and 60 sec TOs to the same way it was two years ago. IAABO published a high school handbook with the NFHS rules and casebook in the front of it (behind it's national member list) but with the IAABO mechanics for 30 sec and 60 sec timeouts (in living color, no less) in the back of the handbook. If IAABO was trying to deceive people into thinking that NFHS endorsed their mechanics, they have succeeded.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Re: No new manual

Quote:
Chuck-

If they are, I'm getting on my state office to get it out, seeing that we're going to 3-man this year!
I have the new manuals for this year and they say 2004-2005.. it gives all the new rules and editorial changes for the year, but puts a note that the new 3'man system going table side will not be in this years book, but will be used this year and will be in next years books
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: No new manual

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
If IAABO was trying to deceive people into thinking that NFHS endorsed their mechanics, they have succeeded.
You guys are exactly right. The frontpage of the manual I have has the IAABO logo on it, not the FED logo!! IAABO inserted its own manual into the FED manual and took out all of the FED 2-whistle mechanics, to boot!!

Frankly, I think that's extremely bush league. They've basically mis-informed their entire membership. Ok, so now I have to go to our state interpreter and find out if we follow the FED mechanics or the IAABO mechanics. Waste of my time.