The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 06:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I was talking with Dave this afternoon about some upcoming assignments and he reminded me about a conversation we had with some other refs about two years ago. Just for fun, I thought I'd post it again for the newbies.

Two crews had forfeits one Saturday during a tournament so we were sitting around, killing time until our next game. We decided to try and "top" one another and come up with what would be the strangest game situation. Here was the winner (actually, I forgot who said this, but it wasn't either Dave or me).

You are officiating a game on a cruise ship. A1 inbounds to A2 in their backcourt. Just as he does, the ship crosses the international dateline and it is now yesterday. Does A2 now get 23 hours, 59 minutes and 10 seconds to get the ball across the division line?

Obviously, it's a joke (just in case you have the brains of a coach), but it did win the prize (an autographed dartboard of Bobby Knight).

Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

OR IS IT TOMORROW AND TEAM A IS 23 HOURS 59 MINUTES AND 50 SECONDS TOO LONG CROSSING THE DIVISION LINE????
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Mark,
Now to throw a wrinkle into the picture. Since the internation date line is in international waters would you use a ten second back-court count or use the FIBA eight second back-court count??

your canadian friend
SH
keep smiling
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
Mark,
Now to throw a wrinkle into the picture. Since the internation date line is in international waters would you use a ten second back-court count or use the FIBA eight second back-court count??

your canadian friend
SH
keep smiling
And how long is a metric second?
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Wait a minute here!!!

If you're now one day behind where you started (a full 24 hours) wouldn't you have 23 hours, 59 minutes and 50 seconds to cross the line? I thought you only got 10 seconds, not 50? Am I confused? Maybe I should never referee a game on a cruise ship?!
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Actually, you have a dead ball. Since it's now yesterday, the game hasn't started yet, so nullify all points scored, consumed time and additional activity which may occur prior to the crossing of the international dateline and head for the ship's bar!
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 12:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink Re: Wait a minute here!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
If you're now one day behind where you started (a full 24 hours) wouldn't you have 23 hours, 59 minutes and 50 seconds to cross the line? I thought you only got 10 seconds, not 50? Am I confused? Maybe I should never referee a game on a cruise ship?!
That rule only counts on aircraft carriers.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 12:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Mark,
I know that was a joke, but I'll answer it anyway. Years ago, I worked at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (where we had a sign posted in the gift shop saying that shoplifters would be turned over to our laboratories for experimentation), and there was an exhibit on the metric system. It stated that units of time, such as seconds and minutes, were metric units. The reason given was that the International Metric Association said so!

Another reason why I hate anything Euro.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Mark,
I know that was a joke, but I'll answer it anyway. Years ago, I worked at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (where we had a sign posted in the gift shop saying that shoplifters would be turned over to our laboratories for experimentation), and there was an exhibit on the metric system. It stated that units of time, such as seconds and minutes, were metric units. The reason given was that the International Metric Association said so!

Another reason why I hate anything Euro.
Then all those reaches and over-the-backs must be fouls because coaches say so :-b
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 06:16pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Quote:
It stated that units of time, such as seconds and minutes, were metric units. The reason given was that the International Metric Association said so!
Obviously not... If seconds and minutes were metric there would be 100 seconds in a minute and 100 minutes in an hour.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt
Quote:
It stated that units of time, such as seconds and minutes, were metric units. The reason given was that the International Metric Association said so!
Obviously not... If seconds and minutes were metric there would be 100 seconds in a minute and 100 minutes in an hour.
And a 100 Hours per day.....
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

And 100 editions of Sportscenter
Old Wed Jan 31, 2001, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mark,

your canadian friend
SH
keep smiling
Well, that depends on what flag the ship is flying.
Stars and stripes - ten seconds
Anything else - eight seconds

Old Wed Jan 31, 2001, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

In this "situation," I think you need to realize that the international date line is a man-made animal, while the rules of basketball were written by God Himself.

Now, God always supercedes men, so the ten second consecutive count applies.