The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

A coach has 30 sec to replace a player who has just recieved his/her 5th foul. My question is, can he use that 30 seconds to confer with his team? As long as his sub doesn't report, does the coach have the right to use this 30 seconds as he sees fit?
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

as long as the 4 other players are around the bench area and don't leave the floor, the coach can confer with them and then send the sub to the table just before the 30 seconds is up....
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 04:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
A coach has 30 sec to replace a player who has just recieved his/her 5th foul. My question is, can he use that 30 seconds to confer with his team? As long as his sub doesn't report, does the coach have the right to use this 30 seconds as he sees fit?
There's nothing that will prevent the coach from talking to his team, but that replacement 30 seconds should not technically be used for anything other than replacing the disqualified player and the coach should be aware of the warning buzzer.
mick
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure this one varies by state, but GA has a rule this year that the other 4 players cannot come to the sideline. They drew the imaginery line at the free throw lane line (tableside). It's intended to speed up the replacement process. We'll see how it works.

Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AirForceDude
I'm sure this one varies by state, but GA has a rule this year that the other 4 players cannot come to the sideline. They drew the imaginery line at the free throw lane line (tableside). It's intended to speed up the replacement process. We'll see how it works.

What if the players are already in that area? How quickly do they need to get out?

The coach gets 30 seconds to replace the DQ'd player. He can use that time to made adjustments with the rest of the players on the floor or to instruct the sub or eat a burrito if he wants.

The book says he only has to have the sub in by the 30 seconds and places NO other limits on what can be done in that time period that are nother imposed at other times. Coaches can always call the players over to the sideline w/o penalty to with their players at any point in the game with only one exception: the two defensive players (and only those two) required to be on the lane for FTs.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 07:37pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
The book says he only has to have the sub in by the 30 seconds and places NO other limits on what can be done in that time period....
Camron,
I think the coach may not be granted a timeout during that 30 second replacement period. Maybe that's all.
mick

Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

i think if the coach can't talk to his players his team is being penalized twice for one foul! If he loses his best player on defense he should be able to talk to his players and see what the plans are for changing defense during that 30 seconds...if not he will have to replace his player then call a timeout to talk it over which shouldn't have to happen and will slow the game down even more!!! Was a good thought, but don't think they should make the players get away from the coach....30 seconds is not a long talk with his players....After you tell the coach that is his players 5th and tell the table to start the clock, while you are getting the disqualified player off the floor, the coaches 30 seconds are about up anyways...can't get any faster than that!!!!
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AirForceDude

This does not vary from state to state. This is not listed as a possible state adoption in the Rules Book. GA simply is not playing by NFHS rules. 10.5.1SitB(a) specifically states that a coach may have a conference with his players near the boundary during the replacement time period.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
The book says he only has to have the sub in by the 30 seconds and places NO other limits on what can be done in that time period....
Camron,
I think the coach may not be granted a timeout during that 30 second replacement period. Maybe that's all.
mick

I agree.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
[BThis does not vary from state to state. This is not listed as a possible state adoption in the Rules Book. GA simply is not playing by NFHS rules. [/B]
So then GA is playing by different rules from other states. So what you're saying is that the rule varies from states to state?
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 09:46pm
Administrator

I just went to the GHSA website and checked its basketball section.

The second sentence in 2004-2005 Basketbal, dated July 13, 2004 reads: "All basketball games will be played by the basketball rules as published by the National Federation of State High School Associations."

I can find nothing in the GHSA website that would support AirForceDude's post. I know that many officials think that when free throws for intentional or flagrant personal foul and technical fouls are being shot, all players except the shooter must be behind the division line. But that is not true. All non-shooters are subject to NFHS R8-S1-A4/NCAA R8-S1-A4 and A5.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

I do not doubt the veracity of AirForceDude's statement that in GA the coach may not conference with his players during the 30-second replacement period.
I only object to his implication that the NFHS allows this and that each state which uses NFHS rules could do it differently. GA has simply chosen to NOT use the correct NFHS rule, and I'm sure that their state officials know it. Maybe they think that they are being experimental and testing something for the good of the game.
Whatever the reason, it should not be passed off as correct or acceptable under NFHS rules.

It is exactly the same situation as those seven states which use a shot clock. They are in violation of NFHS rules.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

As stated in the rules clinic, the intent is to speed up the game in respect to getting the replacement into the game in a timely manner. I’m not defending the rule, just pointing out some states emphasis the time being spent on player replacement, not an additional timeout. The coach can still talk to the other 4 players, but he/she’s doing it from half way across the court.
Not sure why it wasn't on the website yet, but I'll follow-up.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

I believe that the coach cannot make any other substitutions before replacing the DQed player.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I do not doubt the veracity of AirForceDude's statement that in GA the coach may not conference with his players during the 30-second replacement period.
I only object to his implication that the NFHS allows this and that each state which uses NFHS rules could do it differently. GA has simply chosen to NOT use the correct NFHS rule, and I'm sure that their state officials know it. Maybe they think that they are being experimental and testing something for the good of the game.
Whatever the reason, it should not be passed off as correct or acceptable under NFHS rules.

It is exactly the same situation as those seven states which use a shot clock. They are in violation of NFHS rules.
Yes there are states that chose to "violate" NFHS rules.

How does it upset the great cosmic scheme if some states chose to "violate" the NFHS rules?