The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I had an extremely negative fan (Parent of a freshman) "volunteer" for a "Dave moment" last night. Freshman games are normally pretty low key games; however, this parent thought we were playing the Championship game. Constantly ragging on my partner and me.

There was a particular play in the middle of the 2nd Qtr that created a "davism moment"

In this gym, the fans sit on chairs courtside opposite of the players. The parent's team's player attempted to make a bounce pass and the ball BOUNCED off the stationary knee of the opposing team player. Another of Gold's team players attempted to grab the ball, but it slipped through his hands and out of bounds... Right into this boisterious parent's hands...

I signalled "Blue Ball" (His team wore Gold). He started yelling... "That's a kick! He kicked the ball! What kind of call was that?...etc...."

I calmly requested, "Sir, may I have the ball." He held the ball and I again requested the ball.

He held the ball and became personal... "How long have you been officiating? Cripes sakes! Anyone could have made that call!"

Sounded like he wanted to "volunteer". Since he was still holding the ball, I offered a solution.... I reached into my pocket and pulled out my spare whistle and said, "This is my first game, since you know the rules better than I do, I will give you this whistle and you can officiate the rest of the game."

The other parents laughed, (he was about 6' and 300+ pounds). He handed the ball to me and didn't say another word for the remainder of the game.

I am usually more patient. Unfortunately, I have heard this parent too often during the team's games. I am aware there are more professional ways of handling this situation, but I was in the attitude to deal with it this way, this time.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 01:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree

[snip]
I am usually more patient. Unfortunately, I have heard this parent too often during the team's games. I am aware there are more professional ways of handling this situation, but I was in the attitude to deal with it this way, this time.
In a small gym like that, and a low key game, I may have briefly, and politely, explained the rule for several fans to hear.
...I bet he would've gladly handed the ball back.
mick
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 02:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking here's an actual "Dave" from a similar moment

This was at least five years ago but I still remember it as if it was yesterday. I was doing a girls 8th grade rec game with Dave and, believe it or not, there was an almost identical play. The ball hit B1 above the knee, and besides, she hadn't moved her leg at all. The ball then hit A1 before going OOB and Dave gives the ball to B.

A parent in the first row starts yelling about a kick, and tells Dave he doesn't know the rule. Dave turns to him and asks him if he wants to bet. Dave says that if the guy can quote him the correct rule regarding kicks, Dave will reverse the call, but if the guy can't, he has to pay Dave $100 and lick his shoes. Dave also tells him he has a rulebook in his bag.

The guy's jaw dropped, then closed and he was silent the rest of the game. BTW - before administering the inbound, Dave looked at the guy and made chicken noises.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

man, dave is awesome!
keep posting more of those!