The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 1999, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

This happened to a coach friend of mine and need an officials possible explanation on how to handle.

Team A (my friend's team) was real late coming out of the dressing room at the halftime intermission. In fact as his team was coming back into the gym the official put the ball in play - Team B scored a layup and ball was laid out-of-bounds by the official. The official began a 5-second count.

Seeing this the 5 kids on Team A hustled back onto the court, picked up the ball and did not make a throw-in within 5 seconds - ball back to Team B.

I believe the 2 game officials handled it very unprofessional. But would like to get some opinions on how you all would handle this type of situation. And is/was there any violations at all with what took place.
Old Tue Dec 14, 1999, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

The officials were wrong. They should have charged team A with a technical foul if they were a full minute late to start the second half.

Also, the referee should have had each team notified with three minutes remaining in the half-time. (The referee may have done this -- your post didn't say.)
Old Tue Dec 14, 1999, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Why would you charge Team A a technical for being late? The horn signals were sounded.

Old Tue Dec 14, 1999, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Also Mr. Jenkins, the officials probably did mention to notify teams at least 3 minutes before the halftime intermission is complete. However, we all know this does not always take place.
Old Tue Dec 14, 1999, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Bob Jenkins you were right!

At first I agreed with the officials, but after looking up the rule 7-5-1 and 10-1-5a, and Casebook 10.1.9, page 68 I admit I was wrong.

Note the comment that says "The resuming-play procedure is in effect to start the second half (place the ball on the floor if the teams do not respond to the warning horns) unless either team is not on the court. In that case regular delay provisions are in force."
(Penalize team when they consume a full minute by not returning to the floor).

Even veterans handle this incorrectly.

As to the professionalism of putting the ball on the floor, my partner and I did that last night in a ballgame here in Las Vegas. In two separate instances each team stayed in the huddle when they had a throw-in and we put the ball on the floor. Of course prior to the first instance both officials had been to the huddles telling the teams to come onto the floor on the first buzzer. Good deadball mechanics will normally correct this, but if it doesn't then 7-5-1 provides the proper rule interpretation.