The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 02:07pm
In Memoriam

Question

GV, Pretty good teams, two-man

As Ref, I check the ball after I check the book (10 minutes).

Last night as Ump, I check the ball at 1 minute.
No air. Show Ref.
Check six at the home bench, all the same.
Use the best of seven.

1/2-way through the 1st, during a dead ball, I ask the AD to please find a pump, or a ball with more air, because both teams are obviously struggling with dribbles and misjudging rebounds and bounces.

AD took care of it.
At the quarter we have three from which to choose. The first one is fine.
We gave the ball to both point guards and told each coach of the change.

Of course this should not happen, but what procedure would you follow if the air-less ball happened to start the game.

Thanks
mick

Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
what procedure would you follow if the air-less ball happened to start the game.
Same procedure you did. Try to find a better ball. If you can't find one, then you play with the best one you can find.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Use a ball form the visitors, or get the pump before the game starts.

Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Other than asking the AD to find a pump as soon as you realize there's a problem, I don't know that you could have done anything better. I had a game this year where, if I dropped the best available ball from as high as I can reach, it wouldn't bounce higher than my knees. There was no pump available at the school. The game was really ugly because everyone had trouble dribbling. Delaying the game while someone left the school to get another ball or a pump wasn't a good option.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I carry a gauge and pump for volleyball, so it's always in my gear bag if all else fails.......
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

2 girls varsity teams and nobody had a good ball?? Don't waste your money on lottery tickets that night. I know it can happen sometimes in a youth game because both coaches leave their ball bag in the trunk of the car and if it's cold outside, the balls lose air.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 09:34am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
2 girls varsity teams and nobody had a good ball?? Don't waste your money on lottery tickets that night. I know it can happen sometimes in a youth game because both coaches leave their ball bag in the trunk of the car and if it's cold outside, the balls lose air.
ChrisSportsFan,
I/we never checked the Visting team's basketball.
We judged that "good enough" would be good enough.
...But it wasn't.
mick
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

fine with me, it adds a nice twist to the game. kinda like rather than tossing the jump ball, someday i'd like to bounce it toward the corner and let them race for it. or maybe like moving goals.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
fine with me, it adds a nice twist to the game. kinda like rather than tossing the jump ball, someday i'd like to bounce it toward the corner and let them race for it. or maybe like moving goals.
I do that in my PE classes-kids take forever getting themselves set to play. I find blowing the whistle and throwing the ball on the floor always gets them ready.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2004, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As the resident physical scientist on the board, I just want to point out that the air is still there - it's just less dense, and takes up less volume.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2004, 09:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
As the resident physical scientist on the board, I just want to point out that the air is still there - it's just less dense, and takes up less volume.
What is that?
mick
Old Fri Oct 15, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

As a contributing smarta$$ on the board, my mind reels with the possibilities. Density. Volume. So much fodder, so little time :P

Hmmmm, if the resident physical scientist were less dense, perhaps he'd exhibit less volume

Ah, yes. The volume of dense physical scientists on the board seems to be rising.

Better yet: As the resident smart-dexter on the board, I just want to point out that the physical scientist is still here - he's just as dense but takes up less volume.

Yep, just too easy

Old Fri Oct 15, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

If the air is still there the mass stays the same. If the volume decreased: Denisty = mass/volume the Denisty of the ball has increased. I'd be more inclined to say as temperature decreases the air molecules move more slowly, hitting the sides of the ball less often, creating less pressure. But hey, I'm just an 8th grade science teacher.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickref
If the air is still there the mass stays the same. If the volume decreased: Denisty = mass/volume the Denisty of the ball has increased. I'd be more inclined to say as temperature decreases the air molecules move more slowly, hitting the sides of the ball less often, creating less pressure. But hey, I'm just an 8th grade science teacher.
I'm glad I'm not the only dork who caught this.

And when your students get to the 11th grade (?) they'll find out that PV = nRT, which is another way of saying as the air cools (T) or as you let out some air (n) the pressure (P) reduces while the volume (V) remains constant, which it does in this case because the ball is not getting smaller or larger.

Just softer. Like our heads.