The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   No-air ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/15883-no-air-ball.html)

mick Wed Oct 13, 2004 02:07pm

GV, Pretty good teams, two-man

As Ref, I check the ball after I check the book (10 minutes).

Last night as Ump, I check the ball at 1 minute.
No air. Show Ref.
Check six at the home bench, all the same.
Use the best of seven.

1/2-way through the 1st, during a dead ball, I ask the AD to please find a pump, or a ball with more air, because both teams are obviously struggling with dribbles and misjudging rebounds and bounces.

AD took care of it.
At the quarter we have three from which to choose. The first one is fine.
We gave the ball to both point guards and told each coach of the change.

Of course this should not happen, but what procedure would you follow if the air-less ball happened to start the game.

Thanks
mick

ChuckElias Wed Oct 13, 2004 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
what procedure would you follow if the air-less ball happened to start the game.
Same procedure you did. Try to find a better ball. If you can't find one, then you play with the best one you can find.

bob jenkins Wed Oct 13, 2004 02:15pm

Use a ball form the visitors, or get the pump before the game starts.

stan-MI Wed Oct 13, 2004 02:18pm

Other than asking the AD to find a pump as soon as you realize there's a problem, I don't know that you could have done anything better. I had a game this year where, if I dropped the best available ball from as high as I can reach, it wouldn't bounce higher than my knees. There was no pump available at the school. The game was really ugly because everyone had trouble dribbling. Delaying the game while someone left the school to get another ball or a pump wasn't a good option.

TimTaylor Wed Oct 13, 2004 03:24pm

I carry a gauge and pump for volleyball, so it's always in my gear bag if all else fails.......

ChrisSportsFan Thu Oct 14, 2004 09:28am

2 girls varsity teams and nobody had a good ball?? Don't waste your money on lottery tickets that night. I know it can happen sometimes in a youth game because both coaches leave their ball bag in the trunk of the car and if it's cold outside, the balls lose air.

mick Thu Oct 14, 2004 09:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
2 girls varsity teams and nobody had a good ball?? Don't waste your money on lottery tickets that night. I know it can happen sometimes in a youth game because both coaches leave their ball bag in the trunk of the car and if it's cold outside, the balls lose air.
ChrisSportsFan,
I/we never checked the Visting team's basketball.
We judged that "good enough" would be good enough.
...But it wasn't.
mick

ChrisSportsFan Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:04am

fine with me, it adds a nice twist to the game. kinda like rather than tossing the jump ball, someday i'd like to bounce it toward the corner and let them race for it. or maybe like moving goals.

oc Thu Oct 14, 2004 08:24pm

Quote:

fine with me, it adds a nice twist to the game. kinda like rather than tossing the jump ball, someday i'd like to bounce it toward the corner and let them race for it. or maybe like moving goals.
I do that in my PE classes-kids take forever getting themselves set to play. I find blowing the whistle and throwing the ball on the floor always gets them ready.

Mark Dexter Fri Oct 15, 2004 08:48am

Quote:

As the resident physical scientist on the board, I just want to point out that the air is still there - it's just less dense, and takes up less volume.

mick Fri Oct 15, 2004 09:25am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
As <font color = maroon>the resident physical scientist on the board</font>, I just want to point out that the air is still there - it's just less dense, and takes up less volume.
What is that? :rolleyes:
mick

Back In The Saddle Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:29am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

As the resident physical scientist on the board, I just want to point out that the air is still there - it's just less dense, and takes up less volume.

As a contributing smarta$$ on the board, my mind reels with the possibilities. Density. Volume. So much fodder, so little time :P

Hmmmm, if the resident physical scientist were less dense, perhaps he'd exhibit less volume :D

Ah, yes. The volume of dense physical scientists on the board seems to be rising.

Better yet: As the resident smart-dexter on the board, I just want to point out that the physical scientist is still here - he's just as dense but takes up less volume.

Yep, just too easy :D

Rickref Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:18pm

If the air is still there the mass stays the same. If the volume decreased: Denisty = mass/volume the Denisty of the ball has increased. I'd be more inclined to say as temperature decreases the air molecules move more slowly, hitting the sides of the ball less often, creating less pressure. But hey, I'm just an 8th grade science teacher.

Dan_ref Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rickref
If the air is still there the mass stays the same. If the volume decreased: Denisty = mass/volume the Denisty of the ball has increased. I'd be more inclined to say as temperature decreases the air molecules move more slowly, hitting the sides of the ball less often, creating less pressure. But hey, I'm just an 8th grade science teacher.
I'm glad I'm not the only dork who caught this.

And when your students get to the 11th grade (?) they'll find out that PV = nRT, which is another way of saying as the air cools (T) or as you let out some air (n) the pressure (P) reduces while the volume (V) remains constant, which it does in this case because the ball is not getting smaller or larger.

Just softer. Like our heads.

http://www.aims.org.au/phpCards/images/131242828-th.jpg