The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   illegal Screen (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/15802-illegal-screen.html)

johnyd Fri Oct 08, 2004 09:12pm

I am confused about illegal screens. Is it possible to have a Violation and not a foul when calling an illegal screen?
Example; Setting a pick to the rear of a defensive player (Blind Screen) and not allowing room for the defender to take on normal step back. Or setting a screen and then sliding sideways to further blaock the defender. Are these violations?
vs.
Setting a screen and as the defender runs by, throwing out an elbow to stop or slow him down, which would be a foul, not an illegal screen. Correct?

DownTownTonyBrown Fri Oct 08, 2004 09:24pm

Close to right

Your first paragraph gives examples of what could be called illegal screens (BLOCK!)

The second paragraph is an example of a foul. (illegal hands, or hold, or perhaps intentional foul; your choice :D)

what most coaches/players want to call an illegal screen is two offensive players running side by side... "That's nothing coach!"

westview Fri Oct 08, 2004 09:46pm

The answer to your question is NO. there is no violation. On a moving screen it is a definite foul - I would prefer to call these fouls as "holds". The blind screen is a "block". As DDTB said the elbow could be called a number of things including intentional or flagrant

mick Fri Oct 08, 2004 09:59pm

Gotta have contact.

Quote:

Originally posted by johnyd
I am confused about illegal screens. Is it possible to have a Violation and not a foul when calling an illegal screen?
Example; Setting a pick to the rear of a defensive player (Blind Screen) and not allowing room for the defender to take on normal step back. Or setting a screen and then sliding sideways to further blaock the defender. Are these violations?
vs.
Setting a screen and as the defender runs by, throwing out an elbow to stop or slow him down, which would be a foul, not an illegal screen. Correct?

johnyd,
Welcome to the forum. :)
Given <B>enough contact</B>, a foul may be called.
Absent contact, eventhough the defender may have had to adjust normal guarding action to avoid the contact, there is no foul or violation
mick

Back In The Saddle Sat Oct 09, 2004 09:40pm

And, to be perfectly clear...

Screening is never a violation. It is either a foul (as has been well covered already), or it is nothing.

FrankHtown Mon Oct 11, 2004 09:35am

Ok..I think I understand the screening rules pretty well, but what restrictions are there on the screened player? For example, A1 sets a screen on moving defender B1. A1 is stationary, and gives B1 2 strides. B1 contacts A1 in a horrendous crash. Is this a foul on B1? Is this always a foul if the screened player makes any type contact with the screener, or does it have to be fairly violent??

mick Mon Oct 11, 2004 09:45am

Quote:

Originally posted by FrankHtown
Ok..I think I understand the screening rules pretty well, but what restrictions are there on the screened player? For example, A1 sets a screen on moving defender B1. A1 is stationary, and gives B1 2 strides. B1 contacts A1 in a horrendous crash. Is this a foul on B1? Is this always a foul if the screened player makes any type contact with the screener, or does it have to be fairly violent??
FrankHtown
The screened player must make an *attempt to avoid* screener.
(ie, The screened player may not push through, pull through, grab through, hack through the screen.)

If an "attempt to avoid is made", I will <U>not</U> generally call illegal contact unless there is that "horrendous crash".
mick

Lotto Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:20am

Quote:

Originally posted by FrankHtown
In addition to what Mick said, if A1 is setting a blind screen, then you can have fairly violent contact that's not illegal.