The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

during a live ball, we have a player strike another player away from the ball. The contact is deemed to be violent. We have a flagrant personal foul. Now, walk me thru the mechanic (both at the point of the foul and toward the table)and how this is reported to scorer table, informing coach of ejection.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
There is no approved mechanic for signalling or reporting a flagrant foul. Give a baseball umpire's "you're gone" signal, or something similar, at the spot of the foul. Then verbally indicate the DQ at the table. "White 22, flagrant. 2 shots and possession. 22 is disqualified."
Old Sat Oct 09, 2004, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

my lessoned learned, dont make it sound personal when you call it, keep it professional.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2004, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roadking
my lessoned learned, dont make it sound personal when you call it, keep it professional.
Good advice. Just like a T. Don't wind up and give it a lot of oomph. Just report it. Good point roadking.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Talking PREDICTION!!!

This FAQ will be asked again, at least two more times before March 1st!
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 06:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

The best mechanic for indicating a flagrant foul is to take a frying pan out of your bag and hit the coach over the head with it.

Then, roll him (her) over and over until you reach the outside of the gym.

This is the correct mechanic even if the foul was against a player.

Works every time.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

I would personally come up immediately with an intentional foul mechanic (arms crossed above the head) at the point of foul, followed by an ejection signal. You would have to have a foul mechanic first before the ejection signal, since obviously the striking of the opposing player off the ball is still a foul, and since this is a live ball situation, a technical foul is not appropriate in this situation...it has to be a flagrant, intentional foul.

Go to the table, report it as such..."Blue, 33. Flagrant, Intentional Foul (Arms Crossed above the head). Blue 33 is ejected (ejection signal), 2 shots and ball out-of-bounds at nearest spot." Then notify both coaches of the ejection and make sure that you and your partner(s) have the proper shooter and spot. Also, follow the ejection procedures for your state. This includes what needs to be put into the official book, and whether the ejected player 1) must stay on the bench, 2) may either stay on the bench or go to a SUPERVISED locker room, or 3) must go to a SUPERVISED locker room.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 08:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
I would personally come up immediately with an intentional foul mechanic (arms crossed above the head) at the point of foul, followed by an ejection signal. You would have to have a foul mechanic first before the ejection signal, since obviously the striking of the opposing player off the ball is still a foul, and since this is a live ball situation, a technical foul is not appropriate in this situation...it has to be a flagrant, intentional foul.

You would personally be quite wrong also. Bad advice. An intentional foul is NOT a flagrant foul. They are two completely different types of fouls, and are identified as such in the rule book. There is no such animal as a "flagrant, intentional foul". It's gotta be one or t'other. The only applicable, approved foul mechanic in the book is signal #5- closed fist straight up.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

well said J.R.

Two different things:
1)closed fist in the air, ejection signal for flagrant foul!
2)crossed arms over head for intentional..
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

So can you be ejected for an intentional foul???
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
Only if it's your fifth foul or second direct T or third total T
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 03:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
Only if it's your fifth foul or second direct T or third total T
Bob - is it possible for someone who is subject in NF to accrue indirect technicals (coach and/or asst. coach) to also be charged with an intentional foul? It would have to be to fit your mention of "third total T" above.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Bob - is it possible for someone who is subject in NF to accrue indirect technicals (coach and/or asst. coach) to also be charged with an intentional foul? It would have to be to fit your mention of "third total T" above.
No, not under FED rules. But NCAA rules allow a player to be charged with an indirect T (for things like grasping the rim, that are not unsportsmanlike). Two direct Ts are any combination that results in 3 total Ts results in ejection.

I'm sure you knew that already. Just thought I'd explain for anybody who might be interested.