The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 11:08am
Jerry Blum

I moved over the summer to a new city and am looking for suggestions about how the best way to go about getting games. I am coming from an association that scheduled all of the games and was fairly small(40-50 officials). I have joined an association but it seems like most of the games are scheduled by the schools(at least varsity).

Just looking for some suggestions about how to get some games this year?

Thanks for the help.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 11:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Is this in the same state? That can make a difference.

I made a move about 5 years but it was in the same state. I just adjusted to the situation. It took some time but it worked.

I would suggest that you contact every school you are willing to work and ask them "how they get officials for your games?" They will usually tell you if there is an assignor or if they do it themselves. Also call many local associations and ask them the same thing. You might find out that the schools just give the games to an association instead of the AD taking on the task alone. You can never go wrong with this fact finding adventure and the more you know the more you can know what to expect.

There is also a very good article in Referee Magazine that talks about how to handle moving to another area as it relates to your officiating. That article might give you further incite on what to do.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

There is also a very good article in Referee Magazine that talks about how to handle moving to another area as it relates to your officiating. That article might give you further incite on what to do.

Peace
Whatever you do though, don't incite the AD. Doing that may not have very favorable results. Thats the only insight I have to add.

*smile*
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Hi Jerry,

Hope that your move has gone well. We sure do miss you and will miss you this coming season. I hope that our few years of fellowship was valuable for you as an official, and especially as a friend.

As mentioned prior, sending a letter to each area Athletic Director in the area describing your past history and giving them your intentions may be productive.

Please feel free to use me as a reference at any time.

Wishing you the best,
John

[Edited by John Schaefferkoetter on Oct 12th, 2004 at 11:38 AM]
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I have made several moves myself. None to an area like you mentioned. Every area I have worked had assignors of one form or another. Here is my advice. Be greatful to any varsity games you pick up and expect to have mustly sub varsity. Allow time for the A.D.'s to get to see you work at a lower level games before getting those good games. In the smaller associations you can pick up varsity games a lot faster than in the larger ones. Most of the small ones are throwing first year officials into varsity contest who have no business there. They are greatful to know they have a body coming in that has already seen some varsity action. Larger ones, you have to work hard in order to be seen. One association of 150 that I belong to, I had a ten year veteran transfer in without getting a varsity game. The best thing to do though is to get a mentor in your new association right away. Have them teach you the ropes of how to get the games.