The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   how bout this one? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/15774-how-bout-one.html)

ChuckElias Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:36am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Originally posted by Indy_Ref
This additional clarity is great, but my application of the term will be the same...and run in compliance with its intended meaning.
Consider however you like, there are two different types of jumpstops as defined by the NFHS Rule Book. That IS the "intended meaning."

While I acknowledge that there are two types of jump-stop, I agree with Indy, in that I feel the basketball world would be a better place if we all agreed to use the phrase "jump-stop" only for the situation in which the player can no longer pivot.

BktBallRef Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:45am

True. It's destroying the game. :rolleyes:

Seriously, in this case, it caused an official to offer an incorrect answer. That's more confusion than is needed. SO until the rule is changed for the good of the game, it is what it is, and should be referred to that way.

ChuckElias Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
True. It's destroying the game. :rolleyes:
:D

Quote:

Seriously, in this case, it caused an official to offer an incorrect answer. That's more confusion than is needed.
I agree. I just think a better solution -- a better way to reduce the confusion of having two moves known by the same name -- is for everyone to agree on using the phrase "jump-stop" for only one of those moves.

And although it's just my personal preference, I would vote for reserving "jump-stop" only for the play where the pivot is not allowed. But I'm not losing sleep over it.

rainmaker Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:49pm

But we also need to keep in mind that regardless of what we all agree on, there is another group of people out there who are also very confused about the meanings. If we can describe these different maneuvers in ways that don't include the words "jump" and "stop", we will have a much easier time communicating with players, coaches and parents. I know they don't matter, in one way, but we also need to do what we can to keep from throwing gas on the fire. If I say to a coach, "You can't pivot after a jump-stop" he may not hear the correct information, regardless of what I meant. So I propose to completely throw out the phrase, "jump stop" and not bother using it at all. It hurts more than it helps.

Dan_ref Fri Oct 08, 2004 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
But we also need to keep in mind that regardless of what we all agree on, there is another group of people out there who are also very confused about the meanings. If we can describe these different maneuvers in ways that don't include the words "jump" and "stop", we will have a much easier time communicating with players, coaches and parents. I know they don't matter, in one way, but we also need to do what we can to keep from throwing gas on the fire. If I say to a coach, "You can't pivot after a jump-stop" he may not hear the correct information, regardless of what I meant. So I propose to completely throw out the phrase, "jump stop" and not bother using it at all. It hurts more than it helps.
If you say to a coach "You can't pivot after a jump-stop" you would be wrong, or at least incomplete, as already discussed. The term jump stop is fully explained in the rule book. I'm not sure it's my problem if a coach isn't familiar with what the rule book says.

bob jenkins Fri Oct 08, 2004 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
And although it's just my personal preference, I would vote for reserving "jump-stop" only for the play where the pivot is not allowed. But I'm not losing sleep over it.
And that's how (most) officials first used it.

But, (most) coaches used it to describe (only) the "pick up the dribble in the air and land on two feet" move.

So, now it's used for both. Explicitly in NCAA; implicitly in FED.

Camron Rust Fri Oct 08, 2004 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

And that's how (most) officials first used it.

But, (most) coaches used it to describe (only) the "pick up the dribble in the air and land on two feet" move.

So, now it's used for both. Explicitly in NCAA; implicitly in FED.

More descriptive and removing the confusion would be two different names:
<LI>Jump-Catch Stop (pivot allowed)
<LI>Catch-Jump Stop (pivot not allowed)

ChuckElias Fri Oct 08, 2004 03:41pm

I like those, Camron. Or, how about:

Jump-stop (pivot allowed)
Hop-stop (pivot not allowed)

Dan_ref Fri Oct 08, 2004 04:49pm

Quote:

I like those, Camron. Or, how about:

Jump-stop (pivot allowed)
Hop-stop (pivot not allowed)

Or how about

That-jumping-move-thingy-where-a-pivot-is-allowed
That-jumping-move-thingy-where-a-pivot-is-not-allowed

ChuckElias Fri Oct 08, 2004 04:59pm

That's kind of a mouthful. Too hard to say as you're running past the coach. But if everybody else agrees to do it that way. . .

Dan_ref Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:38am

Quote:

That's kind of a mouthful. Too hard to say as you're running past the coach. But if everybody else agrees to do it that way. . .
How about Al & Bob then?

rainmaker Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

How about Al & Bob then?

"You can call me Ray, or you can call me..."

ChuckElias Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:25am

"Coach, you know as well as I do that you can't pivot after a Bob." Yeah, that oughtta do it.

Nevadaref Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

How about Al & Bob then?

Types A & B otherwise known as Al & Bob!

Coach, that was a type A.

Can't pivot after a type B, coach.