The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2001, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Running OB

I thought that if an offensive player ran OOB and then came back in, he just couldn't be the first player to receive the ball, otherwise, there was no violation. I agree that if it persists after repeated warnings, then perhaps a T for unsportsmanlike conduct would be warranted.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2001, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

I aggree that it is a tough "T" to call. I tell the player to stay on the court. The defense is allowed to play defense on the floor and if done correctly the offense should not be allowed to avoid defense by going oob, anywhere on the court. If the player goes oob under the basket and comes back in and gets the ball. I call a violation, he was not legally inbounds when he got the ball. Turnover to the other team. It might not be by the book, but I believe fair to both teams. Defense was rewarded for good defense and the offense penalized for what they did. I hope people understand the fairness in this.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2001, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Please...

Quote:
Originally posted by MattRef
I thought that if an offensive player ran OOB and then came back in, he just couldn't be the first player to receive the ball, otherwise, there was no violation. I agree that if it persists after repeated warnings, then perhaps a T for unsportsmanlike conduct would be warranted.
There is no rule that says a player can't go OOB and be the first player to touch the ball when he comes back in. Read the post entitled "Where is it in the book?"

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 26, 2001, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Hendrickson
If the player goes oob under the basket and comes back in and gets the ball. I call a violation, he was not legally inbounds when he got the ball. Turnover to the other team. It might not be by the book, but I believe fair to both teams. Defense was rewarded for good defense and the offense penalized for what they did. I hope people understand the fairness in this.
Say what?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 26, 2001, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

It might not be by the book, but I believe fair to both teams. Defense was rewarded for good defense and the offense penalized for what they did. I hope people understand the fairness in this.

I don't care how you sell that call, Don, I ain't buyin'!
Old Sat Jan 27, 2001, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The rule was explained to me like this. If a team is using the boundary line to set up a screen, then it needs to work as such. The rule makes the boundary line part of the screen and this is the same for both offense and defense. Stepping outside the line is an attempt to circumvent the rules and gives an unfair advantage. This applies whethter the offending player receives a quick pass and two points or just a better floor position.

I had one game a few weeks ago where a team was running a play with this move consistently over and over. The player who ran out of bounds was actually running BEHIND ME!! when I was on lead. I consulted with my partner and informed the coach at half-time that this was illegal and if it happened again we would call the T. No surprise: it didn't happen again! If it had made any difference in the game such as points or obvious advantage I would have dealt with it earlier, but the way the game went it never mattered.