The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to kevin
Talking

I was scanning through my rule book this morning and started looking over the coaches code of ethics. This made me laugh OUT LOUD! It says that a coach shall master the rules and teach his or her players the rules. Most coaches don't even know when you are supposed to call 3 seconds. It goes on to say, the coach shall respect and support the game officials. The coach shall not induldge in conduct which would incite players or spectators against the officials. HA! The coaches in our area (Alabama), must not know these code of ethics even exist. I am going out on a limb here but I'll bet you guys out there would say the same thing about the coaches in your area as well. Any responses?
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that's why there's a section in the rule book entitled 'fouls and penalties.' It's also the resaon that we give all those T's! Coaches....gotta love 'em.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin
I was scanning through my rule book this morning and started looking over the coaches code of ethics. This made me laugh OUT LOUD! It says that a coach shall master the rules and teach his or her players the rules. Most coaches don't even know when you are supposed to call 3 seconds. It goes on to say, the coach shall respect and support the game officials. The coach shall not induldge in conduct which would incite players or spectators against the officials. HA! The coaches in our area (Alabama), must not know these code of ethics even exist. I am going out on a limb here but I'll bet you guys out there would say the same thing about the coaches in your area as well. Any responses?
Coaches have a code of ethics?!?!

First of all, I would like to say that there are some good coaches that exhibit good sportsmanship and have a command of the rules of the game,.....but MOST do not. For example, a good friend of mine coaches G/HS. I was asking him his opinion of a certain ruling on a play. His response, "Am I on offence or defence?" ie. "does it benefit me?"

This is the typical mind-set of a coach "JUST WIN BABY!" Unfortunately it is not about the game or the kids, it is about ME, MY record, MY job,.. etc.

It would be nice to see ALL coaches exempify good sportsmanship, coach for the love of the game, and teach their players that what they do with the game can transfer into what they can do with life.

Just MY opinion,
MB

Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

It is possible for a coach to have good ethics, but in our gotta win now society, it is increasingly difficult for coaches to with and have good ethical behavior. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought that coach and ethics were diametrically opposed. I would hope that coaches would be worried about fair play and all that it entails, unfortunately, most who I know are more concerned about gaining any advantage they can--regardless of what is right or what is fair.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Seems oxymoronic, doesn't it? (Present coaching company excluded.)

Maybe the coaches should sign or actually take this as a pledge each season, so we can give them a "T" for perjury at almost each game.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I am an oddball...

YES, I have had some very horrific experiences with coaches. However, I would like to say that, on the whole, I have had generally neutral or good experiences with the coaches in games I have officiated.

Do I wear "rose-colored glasses"? I don't think so, but it is possible. Yes, often times, it is the volunteer coaches at the lower levels that are the "uninformed" (ignorant) ones. I have been in that role as I volunteered to coach my son's soccer team. (I had to ask how many players are allowed on the field at one time.) So, perhaps, I am more lenient/tolerant of these types of "errors" especially at lower level games. i. e. 5th. 6th, 7th grades.