The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
In yesterdays game we had a freethrow situation I would like you opinions on.

We are lined up to shoot the second of two freethrows with blue on the line. White player moves from #3 spot on lane line to #4 spot after I give ball to shooter.
Partner gives delayed violation and then proceeds to blow whistle. Everyone stops and I step in to the key a retrieve the ball from the shooter. My partner say inadvertant whistle, I give ball back to shooter and she proceeds to miss the second freethrow. Blue coach wants a violation on white.
What do you have?

I will tell you what we did after some feedback from you.

Don't ya just love this game
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I think what you did was right. If you hadn't had the delayed dead ball, the shooter would have attempted the free throw. If she makes it, no problem, continue. If she misses blow it dead and try the free throw again.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
What do you have?
A FT lane violation, that means, if missed, the shooter gets another try.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 11:39am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Ron - since I know you are a reasonable guy, I think I know what you did. So - let me ask you this. Team A scores. B1 goes to take the ball OOB. You blow an inadvertant whistle. Do you still let B1 run the endline? It seems like the same theory.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

You would treat this the same as if a TO had been called during a delayed dead ball. Reset everyone for the FT when the shooter gets the ball the official who had the delayed deadball will signal it again and play after will depend on outcome of FT.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 12:43pm
In Memoriam

Good One?

Quote:

We are lined up to shoot the second of two freethrows with blue on the line. White player moves from #3 spot on lane line to #4 spot after I give ball to shooter.
Partner gives delayed violation and then proceeds to blow whistle. Everyone stops and I step in to the key a retrieve the ball from the shooter. My partner say inadvertant whistle, I give ball back to shooter and she proceeds to miss the second freethrow. Blue coach wants a violation on white.
What do you have?

I will tell you what we did after some feedback from you.

Don't ya just love this game
Ron,
What a toughie for me! Of course, I struggle with the rules daily.
Point of interuption and just let the delayed violation delay a little longer, ...or... "Sorry, Coach, I blew it and the delayed violation no longer applies", as in a "Oops, gave the ball to the wrong team."
I guess I'll go with "Sorry, Coach...."
mick
Old Wed Jan 24, 2001, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Paul is correct, it is still a violation and she gets another shot. And i'm guessing this is the way you handled it.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

I agree. Still a violation. In fact, if a team decided to call a time-out after the violation and inadvertent whistle, the players would come back and the official would STILL signal the delayed violation, and administer a replacement free throw if missed. And yes, I love this game!
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Red face Opps!

Well is looks like from all the comments we goofed. Player missed the shot and we just played on from there. I'll never do that again. Thanks for the comments.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Lightbulb

Quote:

What do you have?
I must ask these questions: Did your partner keep displaying the delayed violation signal after you re-administered? Spot #3 to #4 on who's side? (I'm assuming on the side nearest you...since you were lead and that spot wouldn't be your primary responsibility to watch for violations.)

I suppose you could have put up the delayed violation signal as a secondary act (kind of helping out your partner ) and when she missed, blew your whistle and called the violation. Maybe your partner was a rookie? Did you ask him why he didn't keep the delayed violation signal?
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 01:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

So what I am reading here is that the inadvertant whistle does NOT cancel the delayed violation.

Same with a TO?

I was of the understanding that an inadvertant whistle or a TO would "cancel" (so to speak) the delayed violation.

..Mike

P.S.: I *love* this forum. It's great.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

You are reading correct it does not cancel.