The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

I had a newer official today ask me if I thought he should buy mesh. He had an equip vendor today tell him 70% of us are wearing mesh.

I can see mesh in summer and rec.....in high school though?

I told him just that but I am curious the thoughts of the board.

Sure wish that search function worked.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Cool will neve wear poly again if i have the choice..

mesh is so much more breathable, and as long as my partners are wearing it too...we are all a lot more comfortable...it's not the mesh that you can actually see thru...some mesh shirts have big holes...the new mesh shirts are just breathable...you can't actually see thru them..they still look professional...
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 02:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb One size does not fit all.

I personally like the cotton/poly blend or just the polyester. I think they look better and come out the bag looking better. Hardly anyone wears the mesh type of shirt. Ultimately like shoes, pants or lanyards this is a personal decision. You will find all kinds of examples of why people feel this way and people feel that way. I do not like the mesh mainly because games are inside and it is during the winter. The temperature in the gyms can be from one extreme to another. I also do not sweat that much and I use undergarments that keep your body cool like McDavid and Under Armor. Now this is just me. What works for me might not work for you. You have to come to your own conclusion.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

70%? Sounds like you were getting a sales pitch.

I wear the mesh shirts because I find them much lighter and more comfortable. There are only a couple other refs in our assoc that wear mesh. I guess I am a trendsetter.

Z
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I wear the polyester, as I think it looks better. But I also don't sweat very much, so the fact that mesh is more breathable doesn't matter to me. As far as 70% of officials wearing mesh...no. I only know one or two officials who wear mesh.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

In our association, everyone wears mesh. When I first started officiating, I was told to carry both poly and mesh to a game to make sure that we were all wearing the same type of shirt. I can't remember ever wearing the poly shirt. I don't even bring it anymore. Everyone I work with wears mesh.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

68% of all quoted statistics are made up on the spot!
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 09:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
68% of all quoted statistics are made up on the spot!
I agree with that 110%.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
In our association, everyone wears mesh. When I first started officiating, I was told to carry both poly and mesh to a game to make sure that we were all wearing the same type of shirt. I can't remember ever wearing the poly shirt. I don't even bring it anymore. Everyone I work with wears mesh.
Where are you from?
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Put me down for the poly, I am not a fan of the mesh.

IMO the poly has a brighter stripe appearence and looks more crisp then any mesh I have seen yet. Plus, I use velcro to attach my certification patch (as needed) and the velcro strips do not blend in very well (when I need to go patchless) on the mesh as compared to the poly.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Micromesh for me.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2004, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer the micromesh for comfort. However, it's not as durable as the others. It will not look new as long.

If you want the look of the polyester shirt but most of the benefit of the mesh, try the McDavid Intera Stripes.

One caution, don't ever put any of the Intera, Dri-Fit, or CoolMax type fabrics in the dryer with a fabric softener sheet (e.g. bounce). It will ruin the wicking properties of the high-tech fabric.
Old Sat Oct 02, 2004, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

I wear the micromesh from Honig's. It works and looks just fine. There is not much difference in the winter, but it is vastly better in the summer.
When standing about 15 feet away it appears very close to the cotton/poly shirt. I don't even try to match my partners. For me that it is such a minor detail. Should we match shoes too?
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

I just recieved my first micro-mesh from officals choice.com It looks and feels great. I really cannot tell the difference, when looking, between it and my poly Hoings shirt. I am reading that it may not hold up as long so I will have to wait and see but from first impressions it not only looks but feels great. I think they are on sale right now 2 for $20 as well.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 02:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Gray shirts??

I recently got picked up by a Men's assignor that requires his officials to wear the gray shirts. So I just purchased the gray shirts and noticed a big difference in how those shirts feel. Is that the same type of fabric or feel of the mesh shirts? I do like the way those shirts feel, I just do not know if they will hold or look as good. But that is my opinion so far, I will have about a week to find out for sure when I have a scrimmage.

Peace